River Rising.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Philip Nulty, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

We have not had a lot of rain here in the Midlands,..up north they have and the water comes down our way,..Swans are meeting up where the river had entered the meadows.
    IMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5503.jpg

IMG_5506.jpg

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5508.jpg

IMG_5509.jpg

2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Gorgeous photos and gorgeous swans. I'm figuring any day now the swans should be returning to the marsh area out behind me. Anxiously awaiting their arrival :) (Hope it is soon)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Let's just hope you don't get a repeat of the last floods you had. Great pictures though and the swans are obviously enjoying themselves.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Islandlife,..do you know where your Swans migrate to during Winter,..also what species are they?.

Hi Eileen,..gosh last year the floods were high and lasted until March of this year,..fingers crossed this year will be less.

We have four species of Swans here,..that is if one includes the Black Swan which was introduced here from Australia.

Whooper Swans which come and go to Iceland.
    Bewick's Swans come and go to Siberia.
    Mute Swans tend to remain in Europe though they sometimes Winter in the North of Africa,..Mute Swans have being introduced to several countries for instance Michigan,..USA,.. in 1919.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

They are beautiful birds and seem to appreciate the extra feeding are the flood is providing. Mainly we have Tundra, Mute, and Trumpeter Swans here in Idaho.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@Philip Nulty - No idea what species the swans are (although they look like the ones in your photos or where they go when they migrate. I'm just in this house for 2 yrs now and they were here the fall I moved in (8 of them fall/winter 2014) and last fall/winter (2015) only 2. Last year they arrived October and left March. Not sure where they're coming from or where they're going but they are super lovely to see floating about in the marsh just behind the backyard.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

2ofus,..i am always interested in Swans,.. i see them daily either on the Lake or River,..now and then a Swan unfamiliar to our area will arrive with the Mute and Bewick's then i am stumped to put a name on it,..they all look white and beautiful but its the beaks that are noticeably different,...all black,..black and yellow or just yellow,..the distance they migrate to from here is very far,..likewise from your area,..Tundra Swans and Trumpeter were thought to be different species but it is now known they are of the same species,..they nest in the Artic Tundra.

Islandlife,...i hope you get more of them this year,..they might be Tundra Swans as they visit the US on migration and in winter,..if they have all black beaks or almost black chances are they will be Tundra Swans who breed in the Artic area of North America,..i am sure you look forward to seeing them in the Marsh.

2ofus likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@Philip Nulty - I'm really anxiously awaiting their arrival. They are so very pretty and I love hearing them honk and occasionally do a fly by.

ADSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

These photos were from a couple years ago and now that I look at them they do have black beaks. Possibly they are Artic Swans. The first year there were 8 of them. I had a thought they could have been parents and a young flock. Last winter there were only 2.

Am hoping to get at least 2 back this year but will see who shows up. Am figuring any day now (if they're coming). I haven't seen swans anywhere else around here yet but maybe soon.

2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Islandlife,..great images!,..they create a fantastic sight,..i would say Tundra Swans for certain,..i will keep my fingers crossed yours will appear soon,..meanwhile take a peek at The Swan Dance,..i love watching them dance.

Henry Johnson and 2ofus like this.
  11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Phillip, I really enjoyed your video and then had to show it to the family. My granddaughter and I were amazed at the grace of these beautiful birds. Thank you for posting it!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Thanks 2ofus,..i forgot to mention the video was made by ' Irenam 73 ',..its such a fantastic sight to see them dance almost in time,..in England and Ireland we are very protective of Swans,..as are most Countries,..sadly the State of Carolina,..in particular NC and EC hunt and shoot Swans,..they don't stand a chance being such big targets and unlike smaller birds can not swerve away suddenly.

13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Beautiful photos Philip and Islandlife!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Watching the swans are better than a ballet.

Philip Nulty likes this.