Romancing the Romaine!!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Jun 19, 2010.

1. anettegarden

anettegarden New Seed

Hi KK Ng,

Thank you very much! I appreciate that.

I just made one of these bottle "castles" myself. Here are the pics I took of the process:

[​IMG]
    Step 1 - Take a bottle ( photo / image / picture from anettegarden's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Step 2 - Make a tube out of the bottle ( photo / image / picture from anettegarden's Garden )

[​IMG]
    The finished result ( photo / image / picture from anettegarden's Garden )

Hope it'll work for you :D

Best,
    Anette

2. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks for the photos Anette and mine just look like a squatter house :D

[​IMG]
    Snail Protector ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

The next time I do that will definately be a castle just like yours, thanks :)

This is one of the culprit that comes from the neighbour. Just this morning after an early morning shower I caught 4 of them trying to cross the drive way.

[​IMG]
    I hate them!!!! ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

They are all now in you know where :D

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Looks like a mighty hungry snail...glad you caught him before he arrived. ;)

4. anettegarden

anettegarden New Seed

I kind of hate them too. I just saw one yesterday. When I see one of these slugs on my lawn, I use a plastic bag to handpick them. It's very easy. I just put my hand into the plastic bag, so that my hand is completely covered with the bag. Then I pick the slug and pull the bag away from my hand and over the slug. I make a knot, and the slug is gone. :)

Best,
    Anette

Advertisement
  5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

so happy to see you have some progress here kk! i can't recall seeing slugs with shells except at the beach near the ocean?!

i wonder if these snails are good to eat? the ones on the beach were.... :D

6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Jewell, I don't think they are hungry they are just greedy :D

Anette, I just pick them up and just leave on the road just outside my house which is becoming very busy and I guess you know what will happen! :D

Thanks Bunkie, you are really lucky. Err .... eating them .... The thought of eating them makes my skin crawl, yikes!! I love eating snails especially Escargots à la Bourguignonne, I am drooling :D , canned snails, bred edible snails, sea snails but GARDEN SNAILs is a big NO NO :D I googled it and found that they are edible ....errr are you going to try it?? :D My mind is slowly changing Bunkie, let me know if you do try it :p

Back to romaines, these are the romaines that I planted in another bed away fro the other bed that is being terrorised by the snails.

[​IMG]
    Romaines in bed 2 ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Romaines in Bed 2 ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

I have a question here, the romaines planted in the cooler region do they look like those in the photos? They are slightly more than 5 weeks old. The main stem is still thin and it sway according to the wind. It is looking more like the first time I planted from a stem http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/garden-image.php?image_id=15453&user_id=8051 I expected the leaves to be more compact but looks like they are not close together. Any idea!!

7. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

they're still babies kk. give them time. for me, Romaine is like a tall lettuce that is 'sort of' compact. the leaves are a thicker consistancy than the iceberg and leaf lettuce. it's a nice inbetween.

as for eating garden snails, it took a lot for me to try the seacoast snails. i was in a girl scout overnighter on the beach, and they were cooking them and, i finally tried them. not bad! we're too dry for snails here in this area...guess you'll have to try them for me kk! :D

8. anettegarden

anettegarden New Seed

KK Ng,

It's really wonderful that your Lettuce is doing much better now. They're really beginning to look good.

I live in a climate that's not as warm as Malaysia. But yes, so far as I can see, the Lettuce here look very much like yours. Maybe they look a little bit more curly or wrinkled (or how you describe it), but by and large they look fairly much like yours. :)

Best,
    Anette

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks for the reassurance Bunkie, Anette, I am really keeping my fingers crossed that they will turn out to be romaine letturce.

Bunkie, I had snails since I was a kid the canned kind and the sea kind when we had seafood dinner outside :) When I started working in Kuala Lumpur I was introduced to escargots. On diving trips we used to collect them for BBQ. I would not hesitate to eat snails if I know the type of snail is edible. I asked Becky if she would eat garden snails and she looked at me as though I am crazy!! :D After closer examination on the garden snail it looks different from those that are eaten. The shell of those that are mentioned edible in google are not that coney but flatter, very much the same as the escargots I had in Kuala Lumpur Western Restaurants. The shell of the snails that I find in my garden are much more coney. Guess who is not going to try it :D

10. anettegarden

anettegarden New Seed

Update

Hi KK Ng,

I've just been on vacation, and when I returned to this forum I remembered your Romaine Lettuce. And I got curious to hear how they're doing. Did they grow well after your latest update? Maybe you've harvested them?

Just a bit curious :)

Best,
    Anette

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hi Anette, welcome back :) and thanks for asking. Hope you had a great vacation!!

According to the packing, it says to harvest after 83 days and I started around June 20th. Base on my maths it shold be about 53 days today. Those on the upper bed that were terrorised by the snails is struggling to stay alive but those in the lower bed is doing fine but the leaves are apart with a long stem ....hmmmmm!!! Maybe I'll harvest them next week. I'll post some photos when I do that :-D

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

The long awaited romaines were harvested yesterday evening because there might be a storm coming last night. Everytime after a heavy down pour the romaines would be lying on the ground and I had to pick the leaves up one by one so that they would stand up and dry themself. Anyway there were no storm last night but it did pour heavily this evening :D .

The remainder 2 plants that were terrorised by snails were really pathetic.
    [​IMG]
    Terrorised Romaines ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Pathetic ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

Those on the lower bed grew well but need lots of attention. I have to water them carefully or else they would lie down and get stuck to the ground. They were flimsy too.
    [​IMG]
    Unterrorised ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

I managed to harvest all the plants that were planted.
    [​IMG]
    The Harvest ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

This is how an individual plant looks like. Kind of a spread out isn't it.
    [​IMG]
    A Romaine Lettuce. ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

Becky prepared them for lunch today and we all enjoyed it.
    [​IMG]
    Ready to be cooked. ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

She made pork balls, glass noodles with romaine lettuce soup Chinese style.
    [​IMG]
    Pork Balls, Glass Noodles and Romaine Lettuce Soup ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

The romaines had a slight bitter tinge and is great for this dish. Yes it is very yunmmie!!!
    [​IMG]
    Yummie!!! ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

All in all I guess it is worth the try or else it would remain as a big :?: in my mind wether it is possible to grow romaine here :-D