Rose of Sharon cuttings

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by marlingardener, Mar 12, 2020.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Can someone tell me when to take Rose of Sharon (hibiscus syriacus) cuttings for propagation?
    I need to know the stage at which to take the cuttings--first leaf bud, beginning flower bud, or at another time. We are in Texas, so knowing that someone in Idaho takes cuttings in June won't work for us!
    I'd sure appreciate your advice:smt100!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Henry Johnson and Dirtmechanic like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, thank you! This is the first time I'll try rooting these cuttings.
    I'll be cutting back our Rose of Sharon where it is touching the carport roof, and I'll root several in quart pots. It is a lovely thing, and very floriferous, so I won't have trouble finding homes for the young plants.
    Again, thank you--I had no idea how or when to try. The link was helpful and in my searches I'd missed it entirely.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The cuttings rooted! I took six, and five rooted. I checked today by the "gently tug" method, and five are definitely rooted. They will go into a light potting mix in one gallon pots, and I'll start calling gardening friends in mid-April to see if they want a Rose of Sharon. I can't imagine anyone turning down such a great opportunity!