Royal Mail....quick delivery???

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by eileen, Jan 3, 2018.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Today a package was delivered by Royal Mail. Nothing unusual about that is there but wait.... I placed an order on 20th November 2017 and was informed it had been despatched on the 22nd. OK I thought it should be here in a few days. It never arrived and I had to get a replacement sent out as it was a gift for my daughter's birthday on the 16th December.
    Today when I looked at the envelope I found out that it had been posted in Middlesex (England) on the 22nd just as the company had stated but had for some reason travelled via Vietnam and France before getting to me!! :headscratch: My address was correct and clear to see so how the heck had it travelled so far just to get from England to Scotland? :smt022
    Has anything similar ever happened to you? Has a parcel or letter gone astray and arrived weeks, months or even years after it was posted?

2ofus and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Wow!! It looks like the original direction,Vietnam, was the major, unintended error. Maybe a temporary holiday worker error? Then the return probably had several postal officials saying "what do we do with this:confused:?" Well.... put it in a trucko_O, send it to Europe! Were there any tracking numbers that tell the return story?

Jerry

2ofus and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wot the.......!!!??!!!

I have had that before, but it was long ago and I sadly cannot recall the story.
    I do have a story in the same vein though:
    We rented from a building company over here for many years...a sort of council housing in a way.

When we had bought our present home, we had to notify the building company to inform them of our intentions because they had to send a chap round to look over our flat from top to bottom and then provide us with a list of things that they wanted to see done before we left.

Right then, we contracted a mover and slowly began packing things in boxes. It is what we did all day long--sun-up til bedtime. One morning at 07:55 the front doorbell went. We were still in bed trying to catch up on sleep.

We went to the door and there stood a man with a clipboard. He introduced himself and said that he was there to carry out the first inspection. We said that the agreement was that we would be notified a week ahead of time with a date and time. He quickly said that that notification had been sent, and we informed him that we never received it.

He called the office and they told him that it had been sent. Great! Now we looked like irresponsible lay-about liars. Wonderful. We were not happy.

So we invited him in and told him to begin. We went with him in our house robes and slippers. Hair all over the place...and no doubt a degree of sleepers breath. eeeeww.

So he left and said that we would be getting a letter with the check-list of what needed to be done and the cost of each action, should we not do the work.

Now then, two days later we got the letter in question. It did say that we could expect a visit at 08:00 in the morning on the day that he showed up at our flat to inspect. Trouble was that the letter that was sent had a date on top of it that was the same day that the inspector came and called his office. This means that the letter was sent the same day that the inspector had called. The person telling the inspector that the letter had been sent probably did not realize that the date a letter is made comes automatically on the letterhead. I can just imagine that person being in shock after the inspector's call and immediately dashing off a quick letter to hopefully cover their ars for forgetting to send the letter.

I can laugh now, but at the time I was far from amused.

2ofus likes this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think Amazon has hired a lot of 'holiday worker errors' We have a package sitting half way across the US from us that should have been here on Tuesday. This is the 3rd package since early November that has been sent to the wrong location, one that was left sitting on a loading dock for 2 weeks before our continued inquiries about it had someone actually go out and find it there. The amazing thing is that the Amazon fulfillment center where the items are coming from is less than 4 miles from our house????

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

Jerry the only tracking available just kept saying 'in transit' which was no help whatsoever. I just hope when I return it to the sender that it doesn't end up in Outer Mongolia. :chuckle:

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. kate

kate In Flower

Mine never left the UK. It was perfume for dried flowers for my sister for Christmas. She has a birthday on Christmas day and I also bought her chocolates from another source.

QVC always deliver within 3/5 working days. It took a month to recieve the perfume so I rang QVC and they said because of their 3/5 day delivery policy they gave me the perfume for nothing and gave me back my money.
    :smt026
    K

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. eileen

Now that's what I call customer service Kate. I 'phoned the company and told them what had happened to my daughter's birthday present and they said not to send it back but to keep it and there would be no charge. I thought that was nice considering that they'd sent me a replacement.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I was expecting a package at Christmas time, for the dog. It was shipped on November 14th from New York, and was expected to arrive here between November 28th and December 4th. When it didn't arrive, I tracked the package and found it to be in New Jersey! It took 19 days to get there! It took until December 23rd to arrive at my house ... just in time for Christmas!

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I got that beat.....back in September of 1988 (I think it was) I put two bills and a letter in the mail box at the local post office.... two credit card payments and a letter to my Mom.....to this day in 2018 none has shown up either at their original destination or been returned to me.

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I don't have a story about losing a package but it's concerning a package mailed. Close to 20 years ago, Mike had a short job near the coast of Washington State. He loves some peanut cookies I make so I decided to mail him some. They took a while to be delivered but he called when he got them and he asked why I didn't fill the box with them. I said I did but, apparently, the box had been opened and half was missing. Mike likes to think that one of the shipping stations had a drug sniffing dog that smelled the cookies. The inspectors opened and tested some and the dog got the ones they tested when they didn't find drugs. The box was re-taped and mailed on to Mike.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Last year 2016 I had for 3 months a friend from Germany. His girlfriend sent him a birthday present to my address allowing for lots of time. November came and went, December came and went and no present. We checked post offices and neighbours - nada. He returned to Germany early January no present. Approximately APRIL 2017 he email to say the errant present had just been delivered to him all the way back in Germany!

To this day nobody knows where this present toured but his gf had tracking on it to Canada and from there ??? But months later - literally SIX months it did turn back up in Germany. Go figure.........

Sjoerd likes this.