Rule of thumb: bathroom lights matching faucets?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by mhb22079, Aug 13, 2007.

1. mhb22079

mhb22079 New Seed

Hoping someone can tell me whether there is a rule of thumb as it relates to updating a bathroom with new lighting fixtures and faucets from a house selling perspective. In my case I have brushed nickel sink faucet and am looking for the same in a soaking tub.

I am also looking to update the builder's grade Hollywood light strip (8 bulbs long) with something nicer. I'm wondering whether a black or oil-rubbed/antique bronze very simple fixture would be acceptable.

Thanks!

2. StevePM

StevePM New Seed

I think the bathroom has a more polished appearance when the faucets and lighting are similar.

That being said, I put in an oiled bronze shower fixture and haven't finished swapping out my other chrome fixtures in the master bath. But if I were going to sell, I'd rush through replacing the remaining fixtures with oiled bronze. Which is what my wife is encouraging me to do anyway :-D

3. Staged Makeovers

Staged Makeovers New Seed

Matching fixtures

If you have started with brushed nickel, stick with it. Avoid mixing gold looking fixtures (brass, antique brass, etc.) with silver looking fixtures (nickel, chrome, etc.) so the look will be consistent. Glad to hear your getting rid of the Hollywood light strip!

4. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

I love my hollywood style lights but they had brass bases, and faucets are chrome so this is what I did...painted them to match, border paper also marble of vanities, the blue is a perfect match.

here you can see marble, same as vanities:

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I love your painting solution - great idea!

I always look for two-toned faucets when I have to replace them, so I can decorate either silvery or brassy and it still works.