saga of April's trailer

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by aprilconnett, Feb 16, 2007.

1. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

Just in case anyone is interested.

We are still living with friends.

The bedroom and hallway floors are fixed. We thought the kitchen was done.

Then I began cleaning the cabinetry to paint. I figured there was no need to tear out perfectly good cabinets, it would just waste more money to buy new ones. Well, I discovered the cabinetry was not cleanable (is that a word?). I pulled out a drawer, dumped out the layer of cigarette butts, and found a layer of mouse pooh STUCK to the bottom. . . .

I, um, had a little breakdown. Right there in front of our friends, my in-laws, God, and everybody. Hubby says it was not a littlebreakdown, but I still claim it was minor.

So, the cabinets went away. Turns out, my breakdown was a good thing. The floor under the cabinets was so rotten, they had to replace the floor joists! Then replace that section of floor. Now, we only need to put the top layer over all the repairs to have a kithen floor! Yay!!! :-D

Of course, we also discovered that the walls were rotten behind the cabinets, so we have to tear those out and replace them :( And build new cabinets.

There is only a small section in the living room floor that needs replacing. They tried to work on it one day, but had a devil of a time pulling out the rotten pieces. Then all four cats escaped through the hole in the floor. Of course, MY spoiled baby would only return to my voice. So I had to trek across town to coax Edgar(yes, he has a brother named Allen) back into the house.

I am beginning to wonder if we will ever get into this place?

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, April, it sounds like you are going thru remodeling H*ll.
    I know it is a tired old phrase, but hang in there...someday you will be able to laugh about all the problems that came up. :-D

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

A layer of mouse poo, eck! Definitely a motivation for replacement :)

I think it is quite rare for remodelling to go according to plan, there will always be a few surprises thrown up along the way. Hang on in there April, it'll be over before you know it.

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Oh April, sorry about all of your hard times. I can understand the "minor" breakdown. Sounds like me. Take Toni's advise. I promise one day you will laugh about this. And when you are in the new home and out in the yard digging and planting this spring it will all seem like a long time ago. Keeping you in my prayers.

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It sounds like you're having the same kind of problems that we had when we moved into our cottage here in the village April. :(
    Once all the work is finally done though you can sit back and know your home is safe and secure and that you won't fall through those rotten floorboards or have a kitchen cabinet land on you. You will laugh about someday too as Toni says. :-D

6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Sorry about all your problems.It will all fall in place soon.I understand all you are going through .Keep your chin up and it will all work out soon.

7. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Mouse poo! :eek: OOOK! Yup, I think I would've had a meltdown, too. :-?

Sounds like you will have a really satisfactory home when you've finished,
    but it's a lot to have to go through in the meanwhile, isn't it? :rolleyes:

8. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

Thanks everyone!

I know it will great when we are done. I mean, $500 to outright buy the trailer and only $150 a month for lot rent. Plus, it will be OURS! I just don't know if I'm gonna make it to that point. I feel like we are in that old movie, "The Money Trap."

We won't have water until we can get a new hot water heater because there is only ONE shut off valve for the whole trailer. Now, a new water heater is onlly around $200 (only), but we just had to pay that $200 to have electricity switched to our names. We actually have a stove for the kitchen, but not a fridge. So, we could cook, we just couldn't store any ingredients or leftovers. Nor could we clean up the mess. :D I am laughing!! (It beats crying!)

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hang in there April. Perfection takes time and when it's all done you will know that there will be no more suprises! And THEN you will be able to look back at the whole thing and laugh.

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Been there, done that, many times. Had a house in Wisconsin, built in 1872. Started replacing rotten pipes. Started on 2nd floor bathroom and ended up in basement before rotten pipe stopped breaking off. The joys of home ownership.

11. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Hate to be a wet blanket but the mouse poo made me immediately think "hantavirus" Please do pay close attention to your health in all this! And I'm betting it will be wonderful when you are done, nice solid floors and all that.

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Hantavirus is a huge problem in the Southwest as is plague. Have to be very careful with rodents here.

13. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

April, now this is only a suggestion but may be helpful to you. Do you have a freecycle website that caters for your area? You can pick up some really neat stuff for absolutely nothing. It's one way to save money on things like 'fridges when you have so much to money to outlay on other things.

14. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

As a matter of fact, I am going to join our local freecycle. Thanks!

15. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

That will really help ya'll out.We have one near here about 26 miles .Its mostley buliding matteral and paint and stuff like that.No appliances but great stuff.They charge by the pound
    but only pennies per pound.whole truck load not much.