saga of April's trailer

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by aprilconnett, Feb 16, 2007.

1. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

Newest update . . .

We have NO more gaping holes in the floor!!!! :-D

Still need to put down more layer on the floors, but still, that is a lot of progress. The kitchen walls have been replaced, too.

A wonderful friend just had new carpeting put in. She had the installers cut the old out in one piece, and gave it to us. It is in excellent shape and we should have enough for at least two rooms.

The only major things left to make it livable(not done, but OK) are: toilet installation, hot water heater, fridge, and tub.

The tub was a major blow. We thought we could use the old one, but it was irreparably(sp?) cracked.

Newest move-in goal is Apr. 15.

2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds like you are making good progress April!

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Hooray, April 15th is just around the corner,
    won't it be great to be back in your own place??

Maybe keep an eye on freecycle and Craig's (free) List for tubs?

4. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Glad to hear you're making progress.

Advertisement
  5. katsback

katsback In Flower

thank god its spring, maybe u can be outside more,oh good luck,,,hugs

6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Great news April, things are looking up. I am so glad you gave us an update. Please keep us posted.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Great stuff April sounds like you are making great progress there. Just imagine how good it's gong to feel when you can finally move in!

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I hope everything will be sorted out for you by the 15th of April. That was good of your friend to give you the carpet wasn't it? I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have hot water heater, toilet, bath and 'fridge in the very near future. Keep us updated please so that we can celebrate with you when you move in!!! :-D

9. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

We actually have a toilet, it just isn't hooked up yet. In, fact, it looks so funny sitting in the living room. There is even a roll of toilet paper sitting on the tank. lol! The funniest is when one of the cats perches on the closed lid.

April1 should be good paycheck for us. Jay will get his entire month's salary and I subbed 14 days. Plus, taxes should be back soon.

Soooo, things should be looking up! I hope to have a load of dirt delivered in April, too. Then, I can transplant all of my winter sown goodies right into the ground.

Thanks, everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers.

10. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

Newest Update:

We found a tub for $78! Can you believe that price?!! It's nothing fancy, but my mother kept telling me that I'd have to make do with just a shower. Ha! We showed her.

The April 15 goal is being bumped up. I had to make a $300 stamp order to keep my Stampin'Up! demonstratorship. Then, we had to spend another $300 to fix an emissions problem with the car. We only have $50 to last until May 1st.

Any way, we have floor in every room, now. We just need to put the second layer on. The same friend who gave us the carpet also just gave us a window unit air conditioner. They bought it last year and used it for a month. Plus, the friends who are putting a roof over our heads have two working units in their storage building they have offered.

We are going to have to replace another wall in the kitchen, and have been pricing paneling. Well, we were helping some "disabled" friends of ours clean house this week (an elderly man and his daughter)
    While we were there, Ben says, "Do you need any paneling? I've got some pieces in the basement."
    Is that awesome, or what?

Anyway, the only things keeping the trailer from being livable are a hot water heater and a fridge.

We should be able to get those the first week in May.

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

It looks like it wont be long now.I bet you come across a hotwater heater and fridge soon for hardly anything.I don't know if you have a green sheet that comes out but keep looking in there or in the newspapers to see if they post any .Fingers crossed for you.

12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You must be getting soooo excited knowing that almost everything is finished. You'll have to take some piccies for us when the work is complete and you move in. Just think only another few weeks and you'll be busy gardening and have a home of your own. :D

13. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Congratgulations on finding such a great deal on your tub! :)
    It sounds like things are really moving along now.,
    There are always those "other" expenses that seem to crop up and slow things down a bit, :-?
    but it still sounds like you've gotten quite a lot done!!

14. Shanna

Shanna In Flower

Sounds like you are getting it all in order.Hope it all works out for you soon!!!

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Just like eating a sandwich-one bite at a time. You will get there.
    dr