Scarlet runner beans and onion seeds

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by AAnightowl, Apr 12, 2022.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I ordered some scarlet runner beans and onion seeds recently. The bean seeds arrived this week, and am still waiting on the onion seeds.

I was watching videos on growing BIG onions, not the little spring onions. Apparently, you need SEEDS and not sets? I want some BIG POTENT onions in my garden. The kind that make you cry when you cut them up. So I ordered some Texas Grano onion seeds, 200 of them. I hope they all grow. They are supposed to arrive any day.

Someone on eBay was selling organic Scarlet Runner beans, so I got 50 of them for $7. I hope they grow. So far, I have not had much luck with beans of any kind. I have lots of green bean seeds to plant also. Are beans and onions compatible, or should I keep them at a distance? My Aunt used to grow Scarlet Runner beans, and I remember liking them when I was growing up.

I NEED a bigger garden! I have cucumber seeds too, and made a new trellis for the beans and cukes to grow on.

I need to work out there more. I hope to finish up the chicken yard as soon as the weather permits.

Last year I harvested about 12 lbs of garlic and thought I had dug them all up. There is loads of garlic still growing out there, and it is barely April. I still have some garlic in a bin.

I made a new compost pile in a different part of my garden. I am sure the barrels are fine, but it is difficult to turn them, so they will be awhile before ready to use.

S-H and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Don1t let them tell you that crap ! Trying to grow onions from seed is a losing proposition ! I grew Texas grano when we had our big garden ! Seed takes about two or three months to get to the point of being able to plant them ! If they germinate at all ! I could have sent you started plants for $2.99 a bunch !

AAnightowl likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Beans and onions are NOT compatible...that goes for all members of the allium family. Be careful, now.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    AAnightowl likes this.
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Thanks Sjoerd. I won't plant them together.

I did get some of my scarlet runner beans planted today.

I gave the sweet onions away. I hope to order some good strong onions next week. I got the names of some good ones from www.hosstools.com

The names they gave me are: Carta Blanca, Bella Luna, Cirrus, and Sterling. I think I will try the Carta Blanca onion from them.

Beans and onions might not do well together in the garden, but they sure are good together in soup! I love to make a brown bean and onion soup sometimes.

What if garlic is in an adjacent bed? I could dig up the garlic and move it if need be. It is some I missed last fall.

I also got some arigula and spinach seed in the ground on sunday.

I have several packets of bean seeds, and they are all bush beans. (and lots of garlic around my garden.)

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@mart, what kind of onions by the bunch? I like STRONG onions that make you cry and give a bit of indigestion... I don't care for sweet onions at all. If you have some good strong ones, I would be interested. How many plants in a bunch?