Second try at rooting some mulberry cuttings

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by spector, Jul 31, 2020.

1. spector

spector Seedling

After a miserable failure at my first try, I changed a few things up. I found these little planters last year, and I was using them for my bog plants, but they work really well for starting soft cuttings, so I am trying to see if they succeed at hardwood. Planted these about four days ago and at least they are still green, so fingers crossed!

mulberry1.jpeg Mulberry2.jpeg

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

you are talking about mulberry ! with the edible berries ? they root easily from a tiny bit of root and will pop up everywhere in the landscape ! i have been trying to eliminate them for years !

4. spector

spector Seedling

I have one that has been growing for years and have never had a baby from it. :(

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I just tried rooting mulberry shoots in plain water, unsuccessfully. They lived a long time but did not produce any roots. Maybe if I had tried rooting powder in a medium & covered in plastic.

Good luck with your experiment Spector

spector likes this.

Advertisement
  6. spector

spector Seedling

Thank you. I did use rooting hormone on these. The first four (failed attempt), I put into a regular pot with seed-starting mix (because it is fine, and I didn't have any vermiculite handy). This time, I put them into this self-watering pot, and I left some sphagnum/peat in from the bog mix. Fingers crossed!

Mart, I get where you are coming from. I can't believe people pay for toyon, mimosa, manzanita, etc. I even saw some buckeye for sale at one of our local plant sales. I don't think anyone bought it, because everyone I heard near it was laughing that someone was trying to sell it. That stuff is like the star thistle of the tree world around here.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

buckeye is not invasive ! are you sure it is the same plant ? where are you located ?

8. spector

spector Seedling

California. Aesculus californica. It is a pest out here.