Seed question, will I get the same color flowers?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by stratsmom, Aug 29, 2011.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'm hoping someone can tell me that I'm not crazy! I have little bits of string tied around certain flowers that I want to collect seeds from. If I like a red nasturtium and take seeds from it, will it's seeds produce red flowers next year? Or is it just a gamble? :shrug: Last year I saved seeds from some really pretty 4 o'clocks. I planted them and it looks like they are all yellow :rolleyes: I like yellow flowers but I really wanted some red and pink too!

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic
    moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It depends on whether the ones you want to collect seed from are hybrids or not. If they are hybrids, the offspring may revert back to one parent or another. If they are non-hybrid they should breed true to type.
    If you still have the seed packet, it should tell if the flowers are hybrid or not. Also, you could search on the flower's name (Moonlight Petunia, for example) and find out if it's hybrid.
    No, you are not crazy. I have lived among crazies for years, and you show no symptoms!

Frank likes this.
  4. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Its a gamble, IMO its a gamble worth taking.

Herding pollinators might be another issue.

FWIW, this year they're yellow (F1 or F2), next year that might not be true.