Seed starting mix

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Brian1985, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Brian1985

Brian1985 Seedling

Hey guys I'm going with pro mix seed starting mix this year. I wanna add some extra perlite and maybe vermiculite. Is it possible to get to much of these products in it?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

i saw a video where they grow some plant in 100% vermiculite and 100% perlite and 50%perlite/some mix and 50% vermiculite/ perlite
    if memory serves me... 100%perlite was the worst one ( but still grew ), I can't remember what was the winner. (there wasn't THAT much difference )
    but i THINK the take away was that vermiculite > perlite, a mix with a 50% vermiculite does well.

so probably the answer to you question is: no, it's not possible to get to much of these products in your pro mix, but there's a point of diminishing returns, so I wouldn't worry about adding to little or too much.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Gail-Steman likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

How did our parents, grand parents and great grandparents ever manage to feed a family without these things ?

Dirtmechanic and Gail-Steman like this.
  5. Logan

Logan Hardy Maple

They probably would have used sand.

Dirtmechanic and Gail-Steman like this.
  6. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

@Brian1985
    The reason the vermiculite did not work so well was the strong ability to hold water was hard on the plants and the roots tend to suffocate and drown. But that depends on the plant in some ways, if you consider starting aquatic plants or rice versus tomatoes. And the system too as hydro growers can use perlite but then they are pumping oxygenated nutrient water to the roots. Drainage is also air, and while moisture is important, so is balance. Plus the root of the word moisture is of course moist, which is good enough. I would just use the promix and put any extra money into some seaweed extract and fish fertilizer that you could then weaken and mist on the seedlings as they come up.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Brian1985 and Logan like this.