Selling plants.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Brian1985, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Brian1985

Brian1985 Seedling

Hey guys I’m looking at selling tomato and pepper plants next spring. Would you sell all heirloom or sell some hybrid to? Is it worth the extra money for organic seed? Do people really care about that? How do you know what varieties sell? Also where are some good places to sell other than farmers market? Does anybody have any luck with herbs, cucumbers, or eggplant? Thanks guys.

2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

If the weather is good every year people are going to plant tomatoes and peppers. Heirloom varieties are super popular now in my area however the old standard hybridized ones are popular too. Anything "organic" here seems to be what people want as well.

Cayuga Morning and Gail-Steman like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Brian, we need more information. Have you any experience starting plants inside? Do you have adequate space for the number of plants you'll need to make this project economically viable? Do you have grow lights for the seedlings? There will be start-up costs like potting soil, flats or trays to grow the plants in, misters or sprayers, and lighting. Your daily attention is necessary, which may cut into other plans you may have.
    As Island said, tomatoes and peppers are always popular, which is why the big box stores and nurseries have rows and rows of them. Herbs are harder to find in stores, but that's because there is a smaller market for them. If you go with herbs, try starting small with basil, parsley, and thyme. "Organic" is a relative term--there is no hard and fast rule for what is organic and what isn't. Non-organic seed is usually treated for common diseases of the particular plant, which is a good thing if you are growing flats and flats of a plant and want the majority to survive.
    Please tell us your experience level, your available space, and how much cash and time you plan to invest in this.

5. Brian1985

Brian1985 Seedling

I have a few lights but would need to get more. I will have the area by next spring. I’m going to be moving. Yes I’ve started my own seeds. I was really hoping to not do a huge amount and see how it went first. I won’t have a big area for left over plants.

Gail-Steman likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Brian1985

Brian1985 Seedling

I would defintely have to time it bettered far as when to start them. In years past I’ve had plants in gallon pots by the end. Obviously cost wise gallon pots aren’t something you wanna be giving away. Any ideas on what would be a practical pot? Like a peat pot?

7. Christi Rodriguez

Christi Rodriguez New Seed

In order to buy a new plant, it is very vital to have proper knowledge of it like how to grow that plant in a very flawless manner.