Shade to full sun strip of land

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Tina, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I have a narrow srtip of land (about a feet wide) which is about 40 feet in lenght in one side of my driveway. Every year, I just plant some flowering annuals towards the front where there is full sun.I also have some lillies growing there and 1 gladioli.The back where it gets very little sun, I just leave bare. But it doesn't look pulled together at all.Below is a picture of the lillies that grew in that strip towards the front last year. Any ideas that will help me create a better 'pulled together' look?
    [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of the land as it is today. The back is where it gets very little sunlight.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sasha_S88
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Cayuga Morning
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'd be tempted to start adding perennials to that bed. Hosta's, Bleeding Hearts, Astilbe and other shade lovers at first. Then some Iris, Lady's Mantle, Daisy's, Phlox moving up to plants that take all day sun. I'd still add annuals for more color too :D Or maybe a few nice flowering shrubs?

4. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks Netty.I already planted two forsythia's and a hosta.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Tina if you ever going to be in the south sound I would be happy to box up some pacific bleeding hearts and sweet woodruff for your shady area and some daylilies for the sunny area. I've been busy making new beds and have starts I have been sharing with friends and co-workers. My yard is ever changing and fairly established so I enjoy sharing.