Should I cut the mango branches?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Outgoing, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Outgoing

Outgoing Seedling

I have a young and small mango plant grown from seed (TPP1 type).
    It is about 45cm tall, it was growing very slow, most of the buds were trying to shoot out branches but failed, now finally have several branches came out. I wonder there may be too many branches, should I remove most of them but leave 3 or 4 branches?

TPP1.jpg

2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Don't cut anything. As this mango sapling needs all the energy it can get from the sun. As it's preparing for a growth spurt at the onset of summer.

Remember that whatever you see happening on the top side of this sapling, is also right now happening with it's root system too. Therefore let it grow wild for this year, so it can have strong roots. Next year you can start pruning it the way you like, (however in my opinion mango trees don't really require pruning).

Wait a second, you're in Australia, (southern hemisphere). So seasons are running opposite to us in the northern hemisphere... Therefore you'll soon be experiencing winter.

I think you still shouldn't cut anything. As in the off season too, the sapling should be able to have as much sources of energy as it possibly can get.

4. Outgoing

Outgoing Seedling

Yes, we are late summer here in Australia. OK I will wait and lets see how it goes until next spring. Thanks

S-H likes this.