Should I plant under this bench?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by cherylad, Jan 23, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    bench now ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Today I expanded a bed behind this bench/sassafras tree/daylilies so I could have room for some Callas.
    But it left me thinking about the under side of that bench. With the extra water/feed that area will be getting, that just means it'll be harder to keep the underside of the bench trimmed/cleaned out. In the meantime, I've cleared out the grass and laid down cardboard.
    Shall I plant some sort of ground cover? If so, what would do well in that situation? Or maybe just lay heavy mulch on top? I even thought of a strip of outdoor carpet.
    Input? Suggestions?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. RJ
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Tina
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

You may want to look around in shaded areas where your local plants have found their niche. With extended periods hot weather those plants may be the ones that have the best chances of surviving under the bench.

Jerry

4. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

i saw a good show that mentioned using a mix of logs and plant pots.

he added mosses to make it looked aged. overall effect was good and kept the weeds down

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

It is dark under the bench, perhaps garden creatures live under there and all you may see is their eyes. :) A bench Troll? Gnome? Dragon? Garden Fairies?

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, oh, oh, either find some day-glo eyeballs from an online Halloween shop or get several ping pong balls, some day-glo white paint and some black paint and make troll eyes to put under there.
    Then plant a trailing plant or two right at the edge of the bench so it grows outward and tuck the 'eyes' into the back of the plant so they get some sunlight to activate the day-glo effect of the paint.

7. cherylad

Jerry... I really have never had a spot of just total shade before. So I'm a little intimidated.
    I was thinking of some sort of thick ground cover. I don't want to have to get on my hands and knees to keep weeding underneath there.

Dan... I'm definitely interested in keeping the weeds down. Any chance you can elaborate a bit more on what they did with the logs and pots?

Jerry... there is a resident gnome already living underneath... and a little bunny. I did think about placing more creatures.

Toni... your imagination is so warped! :D But I like it!

So... the question remains.... plants or mulch for all those eyeballs and creatures?

8. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Love this idea, I have to look for some low overhanging garden fixtures to do just this.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

10. cherylad

Thanks Jane... it sounds just about right for that bench. I'm adding it to my wish list.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Cheryl, I corrected the website info so the link works now.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, I would think there is way too much shade to get anything, besides weeds, to grow there. Maybe make a toad house there. Or find you a resident indigo snake for the spot, I hear they do a good job of keeping rattler populations down. Is Tx still releasing them for the rattler population?

13. cherylad

There's enough places for snakes to hide and jump out and scare me already... I'm sure not going to make a special home for one! :D
    We don't have alot of rattlers here... biggest threat is from water moccasins.

Thanks for your input... I was wondering if it would too dark for something to survive.

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, Cheryl, I wouldn't want a water moc, either. Maybe put a bell on the resident snake (if you get one) so it can warn you that it is on the move. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I would go with landscape fabric & mulch or gravel. I have become leery of ground covers and the degree to which they can spread. One possibility though might be to plant impatiens (or some low growing profuse flowering plant) just at the border of the bench. The plants' roots could be under the bench, the foliage growing up the side of the bench. Might look nice....but I suppose the plants could tickle your legs if you sit there....

Another thought: I would group the plant pots on the bench more together so that there is a spot to sit. Whether or not anyone sits there, a spot to sit is very appealing to the eye. I also think groups of three tend to be more balanced than four. Maybe three pots on one side, and the fourth on the other? Would there be enough room to sit then? Maybe only enough room for a gnome bottom....

moderator's note: removed double posting see point 3.6 of usage rules

16. cherylad

Cayuga...
    That's a good idea of planting something near the front. I'll have to consider that.
    I, too, like things in odd numbers. The number of pots on that bench has grown, and dwindled and grown again! I've also added a couple of ceramic garden angels that sit on the edge. Not sure if I have a photo of it or not. I'll check.
    The bench is not made for sitting... it's just not that sturdy. I'd be afraid that if I left a spot open, someone would sit there and down they would go.... plants and all!
    More to think about.....