Show us your garden paths!!!

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Cayuga Morning, May 24, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    Photo 1: phox subulata & iris cristata ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    a bit of a hodgepodge. Looks better in mid June ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    new path: coreopsis nana, threadleaf coreopsis ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

Here are three photos of paths in my garden. When I have the where with all, I will post more. Do others have pics of garden paths you'd like to post? For me there is something very special about a path in the garden.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Here is our path from the house to the workshop and barn. The flowers make the stroll enjoyable!

[​IMG]
    backyard flower bed ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )

This is not really a garden path--it's just one of the paths we keep mowed going down to the pond. Wildflowers from March to June, and then again in the fall, depending on rainfall.
    Nothing as elegant and welcoming as yours, Cayuga.

[​IMG]
    Path to the pond ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )

Frank, stratsmom, Jewell and 2 others like this.
  4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Nothing fancy, but here ya go ;)

This tiny path goes from the sidewalk to the front yard. The bed doesnt go much further than the Scabiosa, but its a sharp turn and its annoying. So instead of just walking through my flowers, I made a path :)
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from TheBip's Garden )

Another small path. I did this last year, and lined it with rocks this year. I need to put more mulch down sometime.
    [​IMG]

I did this area last year. The rocks were laid just a few weeks ago. Need more mulch on this path too. The rest of the area will be mulched with leaves I collected last fall. I want to put an arch at the start of the path :)
    [​IMG]

My woodland garden. Im slowly but surely getting plants for the area. The newest additions are Bleeding Hearts and a Variegated Solomon's Seal. Ive got a park bench that will go in the back, I just have to finish putting it back together :)
    [​IMG]

Frank, stratsmom, Jewell and 3 others like this.
  5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

You all have very nice garden paths. I may show you mine if they begin to fill in, maybe in a few weeks. LOL

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Mine isn't as cool as all of yours but here goes...

[​IMG]
    My Birtday presents! ( photo / image / picture from stratsmom's Garden )

[​IMG]
    more peonies ( photo / image / picture from stratsmom's Garden )

These pictures are a year or two old. I lost ALL of the coneflowers in that first photo :'( :'(

7. Cayuga Morning

Hey! I am enjoying all these paths!

MG--Your 1st photo is lovely with the path snaking around the multi-stemmed trees. I also really like the green-on-green path. What a great idea!

The Bip--I have a path like your 1st photo too! It is also a shortcut through my garden. I put it in in self-defense to prevent my kids from trouncing the plants. Your other paths look good and will look even better when the plants fill in.

Strats--You path looks great! I think paths are intriguing & make me want to follow them to see where they go.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't have any paths. not a one.

9. Cayuga Morning

Carolyn---??? Don't you have paths through the rows of your vegie garden? Or out to your greenhouse?

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Nope. It is all grass. or ground cover between the rows.. boring, huh? but not as much work for me to keep up with either. Last night we planted 5 rows of tomatoes and tomorrow we will put the ground cover down between the rows. No weeding or mowing there. the only spot that would be remotely considered a path is the spot by the furnace between the high tunnel and the door to load the wood into the furnace... It was under water this spring several times while I needed to load the furnace. so I found all the flat stones I could and plopped them in a 4 foot area to keep my feet dry. Other than that... nope. We had a big driveway behind the shop going back into the woods, where we split and stack wood and keep equipment, until last week. Now, I am not sure what you could call it. Most of the gravel is in the neighbors yard from the flooding. It needs a lot of work. there is no way to drive anything on it the way it is. That is the next closest thing to a path around here.

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My garden path isn't photo worthy yet as there are some changes happening. But here is my back garden path from last year ... just grass paths that are easy to maintain.
    [​IMG]
    And the grass pathways in the 'Garden of Weedin'
    [​IMG]

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'm loving all these paths, too! So green and verdant, so interesting. What a bunch of great landscape artists y'all are!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  13. Cayuga Morning

MG--I agree! so nice to see each other's paths & gardens.

Carolyn--I am picturing your property like a working farm. No need for paths, what you need are driveways big enough for equipment to use?

Netty---Gorgeous!!! I love both photos. I am impressed with the straight lines & edging in your vegie garden.

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Pretty much. If we can't get a piece of equipment in then it is harder work to get done than needs be. Hauling and using a pitch fork to pick up and pitch back out onto another pile in thee back? no way!, when there is an engine attached to the bucket.

15. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I don't have anything really to show as far as paths right now, but come fall when everything is nice and big, you can tell where the actual paths are in the "big bed".
    Other than that, it is so wide open here that everything that isn't a flower bed is a "path". :stew2:

16. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I love seeing all the paths. I used to have grass paths between beds, but 18 yrs. ago we got two Doberman pups. All paths became mud in the winter and barren dirt in the summer. Slowly I began to lay brick. With our 2nd generation of dobies getting slower the moss is now covering both the bricks and the dirt. The last two years I have been slowly adding bark to the dirt areas since the dogs no longer run the weeds off. Not much mowing any more. All except the small orchard is either beds or paths. The dogs love playing keep away using the paths as a race track. Bark ends up in piles in the turn corners :D

We will start a journey around the back yard only. Paths make it feel much bigger than it really is.

[​IMG]
    North side of fish pond heading east ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Continuing to the step up to bamboo and dirt path ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Looking back toward fish pond under bamboo ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Turning right at the steps ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    South side of fish pond ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Path beside the shack going to the patio area ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Major path leading to back gardens ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Woodland paths are all barked ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    To service area ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Out of service area on other side into woodland area ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    On down the path ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Taking another path ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

Unfortunately many of the paths are not wide enough for the wheel barrel. The beds keep expanding some how. Can't explain that :-?

Frank, cherylad, Donna S and 2 others like this.