Shrubs? Trees? I don't know what they are

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Ronni, May 17, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

So Ed had a couple different shrubs? Baby trees? who knows what they were, cut down in the front of his house. He'd neglected the front garden and area for years other than keeping it tidy, so now we're slowly reclaiming it. Anyway, my son did the work, and on Ed's instruction he cut the shrubs completely down, to ground level. I expected that they wouldn't come back, but life always finds a way apparently, and they're putting out a bunch of new shoots from the ground level stumps.

I'd asked in another thread how to kill them other than just digging them out, but now I'm wondering, since they're so tenacious, that maybe I should let them grow?

Here are pics of the two I'm talking about. If you can help me ID them I can google what they look like as mature shrubs, and make a more informed decision. Of course, if they're actual trees all bets are off...I don't want a tree that close to the house (right outside one of the bedroom windows!)

Here's a couple images of the first one....I love the color of the foliage:
    [​IMG]

In case there's any confusion, the stump you can see in the foreground of this pic is a tree that was cut down years ago and it's dead, and doesn't have anything to do with this recent growth
    [​IMG]

And here's the other one.
    [​IMG]

Any ideas what they might be?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronni , none of those are familiar to me, so I assume they don't grow this far north. If no one has an answer cut some and take it to your local extension office and someone there will ID it for you.

Ronni likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Looks similar to our Hawthorn which has berries and can grow from them. Have to get a leaf and see if it looks the same. It blooms very early in spring here and then is loaded with berries that are edible. Just do not eat the seeds. they are poison,,same as apple seeds.

5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Mart, I googled Hawthorn and got some up close images and was able to compare leaves. The Hawthorns I saw had leaves that were rounded, not pointed like these are. They looked .... I don't know ...thicker? than what I have, and though they're similar, I don't think it's a Hawthorn.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronni, that bottom shrub vaguely reminds me of a dogwood of sorts... perhaps a shrub type one. Can you try something for me? This was a test we learned when I was in school. take one leaf and grasp one end in each hand with your knuckles touching and thumbs about an inch apart. Then gently roll your knuckles down and pull the leaf apart... gently and slowly til they are about an inch or maybe even less apart. observe closely to see if there are fine threads ( like spider webs) stretching from one section to the other. if so then you have a dogwood species.

7. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Looks like Nandina and Amur honeysuckle to me. I would get rid of both.