Sick and buggy

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Northerner, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

I've forgotten what this is called, but I over watered it. Before that happened it just had tops growing and the leaves got ragity. I've drianed all the excess water and didn't water it for a week so now it's not as wet. Now since it stayed wet for so long it made a great home for gnats. How do I get rid of the gnats and help this plant recover. It gets indirect sunlight and I've been watering it with some dissolved urea in the water. My wandering Jew likes it and another foliage plant. I'm just not getting anywhere with this one. IMG_20180425_120655-1200x2133.jpg

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

One tip about the placement of that plant: Put something plastic under it so that there wioll be no water damage to your lovely floor.

About the flying insects--it is difficult to respond to this since I don't know what the little blighters look like. There are several different sorts that it could be, there is also a selection of poisons that you could use...chemical and bio.
    You probabl;y have different insects over there than we have here, but none-the-less you will need to combat them in some way. Flying insects will spread from plant to plant with ease.
    Good luck, mate.

Henry Johnson and Frank like this.
  4. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

I think I may have figured them out. Fungus flies. Alot like fruit flies. I also learned that these plants when they go south the tend not to recover. Thank you for the compliment on my floors. If you look closely, there is a clear plastic catch tray. If things don't change I'll just replace it with something not so sensitive.

Sjoerd and Frank like this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it is a diffenbachia or commonly known as dumbcane. toxic if you eat it. makes your mouth numb if I recall correctly. and yes most likely fungus gnats. let it dry out. I saw you said it has a plastic tray underneath it but does it have a drainage hole in the pot? fungus gnats show up when it is constantly wet. the larvae will eat the roots. the best control is get some "mosquito dunks" from the garden dept and dissolve one in water and give the plant a small drink with that water. it will contain a bacteria that will kill the gnat larvae. I hope it recovers.

Advertisement
  6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

A corner is usually a pretty dark spot. Is your plant getting any light?

7. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

I would think it is. I know it needs indirect sun light and there are 2 large south facing windows right next to it. And yes it has a nickle sized hole in the bottom of the pot. I also read that a mix of Dr. Bronner's natural soap and water should help. I have that stuff so I'll try it first. Thanks

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

If you have more problems use Sargeants dog flea and tick shampoo about a TBSP in a pint of water. Pour in a spray bottle and spray the plant, and soil !! And let it dry out some !!

Sjoerd and Northerner like this.
  9. purpleinopp

Putting mosquito dunks or bits in your watering can should get rid of the gnat problem. The active ingredient, BTi, kills the larvae, breaking the cycle. It's the same stuff sold for bird baths and livestock watering troughs so mosquitoes can't breed in them. A chemical-free solution.

Compared to the spot where I've put my Dief, the spot where yours is sounds like a lot less light. Inside, most plants need some sun shining right on them for 30-60 minutes per day because the rest of the day, the light is so much more dim than being in the shade outside. My plant is in the shade outside, but as the sun comes up, it shines on the plant for a little while, less than hour, in the morning.
    cd3e7a.jpg

Northerner likes this.
  10. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

Gocha.. maybe I can save it after all. I did move it under a window so it's definitely getting enough light now. I'll give the mosquito stuff a try. Thank you.

purpleinopp likes this.
  11. purpleinopp

Happy to suggest. If the change in light is drastic, it could cause some sunburn on the leaves that get the most new light. If your house is arranged so that you can more gradually move it toward the window, that would help prevent any sunburn. But don't panic if it does happen, new leaves that replace the old ones will be fine and gorgeous.

Northerner likes this.