Slipcover sofas maintenance and brands

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Haskell, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Haskell

Haskell New Seed

We have a living area off of our kitchen that I assumed, once we finished our basement with a media center and the kids became teens, would be my own special space...Fast forward to today, and my teens and husband have decided they like hanging out in my space. This is a pleasant surprise, and now I want to accommodate all of us (and our dog) in "my" space.
    We need to replace our 20-year-old furniture in this room. (We bought quality--and it's lasted.) From what I've read and researched, though, I shouldn't expect the same quality in today's sofas without spending at least what my kids' orthodontics cost. Reupholstering a CL sofa isn't an option, as the CL listings in our area are overpriced and of poor selection. One of our currents sofas is leather (going to the basement), and the other has already been reupholstered once, so I'm ready for new.
    I think the most practical solution for my/our space with teens is a slipcovered sofa. The problem is that I know nothing about slipcovers, and I only saw a few references with the "slipcover" search about how to buy/use them in this forum. Also, DH doesn't like the look of slipcovers--he thinks they look unkept and sloppy. So I want the convenience of slipcovers but would like for them to look more tailored.
    Is there a brand of sofa with slipcovers that is recommended in the $2,000-$3,000 range that looks more tailored? Or am I not being realistic? I realize I'm asking for the best of all worlds here.
    Also, based on my understanding, slipcovers should be white or off-white so that they can be laundered in hot water and perhaps a bit of bleach. Is there any advantage to a darker slipcover--or should, at a darker color, I go with regular upholstery?

2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

I will agree with your DH . Slipcovers for furniture unless super custom are messy and look unkept. The colors and fabric choices of course are ugly and looked unkept and tattered. I tried a few of them and some were stretch type others were to much to deal with the constant unkept wrinkles . I broke down and bought new leather /fabric mix sofas and it was well worth the investment. The new style of sofas - Brought back and updated the style of the of the family room, updated the whole room and a lot less hassle than messy slipcovers.
    Sometimes practicality isn’t always the best way to go…but it’s worth a try to be sure you find a solution your happy with.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    eileen likes this.
  3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Practicality to me is agreeing with my wife that we needed new leather furniture even though the neanderthal that exists in my deeper brain thinks skins are a bad idea here in the humid south. I also found it practical to agree to ugly yet sturdy pet resistant slipcovers to keep the new upholstery in good form. I said we can remove it should the need arise. I enjoyed paying for them also. :suspicious:

I got a kick out of her need to use my sewing machine which is a heavy duty setup with needles for heavy denim. I suppose a heavier cloth could be sewn custom but a machine like that might be necessary. Personally I like linens and such and fabric for furniture that can be washed and pressed seems ideal.

Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  4. Aderek

Aderek New Seed

There are a number of tailored slip covers you could try here at prices under 300. Surprisingly mine have fit the sofa well with good measuring and lasted through washings without any stains remaining. It might be worth buying one and seeing if they work for you. Ballard Designs, JC Penny are my go to. They offer a range of fabric and furniture design.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  5. AveriMurilo

AveriMurilo New Seed

Your situation sounds so relatable – it's amazing how our "special spaces" can turn into hangouts for the whole family, right? I totally get the struggle of finding the right furniture that suits everyone's taste and stands up to the test of time. Slipcovered sofas seem like a great idea, especially with teens and a dog in the mix!

I've been hearing good things about slipcovers being both practical and stylish. And hey, don't worry about the tailored look – some brands manage to pull it off really well. Have you checked out https://www.gardencentreshopping.co.uk/? They might have some options that tick all the boxes for you!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023