Small Cherry plant leaves patches/spotty

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Outgoing, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Outgoing

Outgoing Seedling

I have a ~20 inch tall cherry plant have patches/spots in the leaves. Not sure why and how to treat them.

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Outgoing, you are an experienced gardener so you are most likely not watering from overhead. Water droplets on leaves act like prisms and can actually burn the leaves, which might account for the brown spots. The other alternative is a disease. The quickest, easiest, and least harmful spray is tepid water with baking soda and a small drop of vegetable oil. (https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/baking-soda.pdf)This works really well on fungus.
    The holes seem to be from insects. Take a look at the underside of the leaves, and if you see frass (poop) or detect movement, wipe the underside of the leaves with isopropyl alcohol.
    I am just surmising--someone more knowledgeable will come up with a better answer.

4. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

It is autumn now (fall I think you call it) and all the leaves look like that before they drop off. In the springtime they will all have nice new leaves on :)

[​IMG] Cherry orchard in autumn.

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.