Snails in the Water Lily Containers. Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by cherylad, Apr 26, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Just noticed that I have snails in both of my water lily containers. Pretty small... the largest one I saw was smaller than a dime and are black. The big container has Comet Goldfish. There are no fish in the small one.
    Shall I be concerned for plants or the fish? Or just leave them alone? They seem to be doing a good job of cleaning the sides.

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Some water plants may have snail eggs when you get them. If the plants are doing well and there is no evidence of damage, good. The snails seem to be doing a good job cleaning. If the containers are out in the sun then algae would be a problem, the snails will make fast work of it. As with most questionable conditions, monitoring will prevent surprises. Good luck with your snails.

Jerry

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Thanks Jerry... that eases my mind a bit. This is the 2nd year for the water lilies... not a sign of one snail last year. Just don't know where they came from.
    But will keep a close eye on them.

5. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

The eggs may have been attached to the feet of a bird that had previously landed in some other water where there were snail eggs.