Snakes are interesting

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by marlingardener, May 31, 2020.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Such evil practices have been going in my part of the world since BC times... You know of the thuggee and phansigar gangs in India during the British rule? They often used such practices against their colonial masters. And many still do indulge in such evil tactics. But today in modern times they now go by different names, (not as thuggees).

Take for example the story of Ali Baba and 40 thieves. May be a children's bedtime story in the West. But even today, it is very much real in some parts of the world...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  2. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Anyway, back to the subject - So if anyone wants to remove snakes off their property humanly. Then here is something which would interest you.

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

You grab the snake by the back of it’s head. That way it can’t bite you. Like S-H, I spent my childhood hunting poisonous snakes in our garden. Killed em.

S-H likes this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

@Odif , let's you and me start a different thread, (maybe in the village square section). About how to safeguard ourselves in the garden from dangerous creatures (mainly poisonous snakes).

Theme and tittle of this thread is that sakes are interesting - Which I do not disagree with at all. Because like any other creature, they too have their place in nature. So if we now start talking about ways on how to kill them. Then it would spoil this thread - Sharing information and personal experiences is one thing. But to actively start talking about ways on how to kill them, doesn't go well with the theme of this thread.

Just my opinion...

Advertisement
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I came across this viper a couple of weeks ago. These are our most toxic snakes. This one was about 40 to 50cms. We also get lots of grass snakes, the largest being the Montpellier snake which can grow up to 2 and a half meters long. Although they are mildly poisonous. They are backfanged and not dangerous.

E4598A4E-F3DD-4B85-9519-D9B899D168AD.jpeg

6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I was working in my plot today at the Community Garden, edging my plot and I accidently cut a snake in half. It wasn't a poisonous one. I feel awful about it. I haven't had problems with voles like I
    usually do and it was probably this snake that was taking care of them. Bummer.