Some diy ideas for next spring

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Rares, Dec 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic In Flower

I am sure I could not agree more. Further discussion of the natural world as a guide will involve my use of the term woody and it might make some of the more genteel minds uncomfortable. Of what material will this construction be made? I have a longer term idea of concrete with imbedded metal?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    S-H likes this.
  2. S-H

S-H Young Pine

I was thinking of cement or plaster, with embedded pieces of colored glass.

It will be 100% weatherproof, and will literally stand the test of time, (in both ways)...

:cool:

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic In Flower

White cement for pools or mortar might be good options. I have watched many planters made with mortar upon a sand form, cut like a potters wheel would be used except a form is fashioned as a scraper. I bought some 12" lazy susan bearing for the turntables some months ago, a project that awaits me yet. Screenshot_20201218-080527.png The use of foam for cutting out allows for intricate molds, so save the packaging from Christmas if any. Matching molds can be glued together with modern adhesives, encapsulating glass. Also pvc is available that can be cut like wood and therefore even a stained glass window could be fashioned for the (insert name here) solar indicator part.

S-H likes this.
  4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic In Flower

S-H likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic In Flower

sooo... The time is one thing, but you want the change of season as well? I can see it.

S-H likes this.
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh dear. I always knew you two wouldn't be good for one another!

Dirtmechanic and S-H like this.
  7. S-H

S-H Young Pine

Just wait till I reinstall all my software, (I have experienced a hard drive crash).

No worries as I had back up all my data. But reinstalling everything back into the new hard drive, (and configuring it all the way I like it). Is going to take a while...

8. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic In Flower

The highest point in this photo of the arc of the sun is the summer solstice, the lowest point in the middle is (also today) the winter solstice. This exposure was taken at an observatory over 8.5 years. It makes me think of a flat shape where the shadow length would also indicate seasonality as well as solar time.

fasd.jpg

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/someone-took-eight-year-photo-exposure-beer-can-180976552/

On the flat shape, the longest shadows would be in winter, so the indicators would be further away, summer numbers closest to the gnomon.

It took some reading on my part to realize the picture above shows the bending of a dial necessary to make up or calibrate for the time of day relative to seasonal change. Which of the designs already do this? Is this the equatorial design?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    S-H and Jewell like this.