Some diy ideas for next spring

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Rares, Dec 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I've now bought my kiln dried sand, the cement dye, the SBR additive, also a new pointing trowel (can't find the old one). I've some cement in the garsge, so didn't need any more.
    I'm now prepared to attend to the re-pointing of the patio, once I've jet-washed it.

All I need now is to find the enthusiam to start on it.

DianneWoollie and Dirtmechanic like this.
  2. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

You stay out the doghouse, Riley:) just get on with it....haha
    I'll do your pointing, you clear my grass and weeds off the driveway...as if....:rolleyes:

Doghouse Riley and Dirtmechanic like this.
  3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Careful what you wish for! I have noticed over some years an innate ability @Doghouse Riley has to class up a joint. It may be a superpower I do not know. But then you will be hanging from the rafters knowing you cannot fall back down and that will be its own trouble!

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  4. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Still trying to figure some of that DirtyM, but not worried, I am use to being in trouble...I can see your being funny....you really are to to.. foreign at times:D... good job you are living in that far off continent phew..not wanting to catch anything that is potentially of an alien nature. as for Riley he is no threat to me, he can't stands the likes of Cliff Richard so would just blast a CD out of Cliffs and he will be running...Use to Play Goal Shooter in the Netball Team, but never been into Walking the Tight Rope or Funambulism..(.dictionary's handy things)Have a nice day now....

Dirtmechanic likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Perhaps I should add a story here. It was probably around 1957/58, when I was a teenager and had recently started work. As I worked in an office in the West-End, it was easy enough for a couple of friends from work of the same age and myself to walk into Soho of an evening, either to a pub or the many coffee bars. One evening we were walking past the 2is coffee bar, they usually had a group playing there, (we never went in,we considered that it was for the "plebs"). We preferred the Chapingo or other coffee bars with jukeboxes which had American records. Anyway, someone we knew was just coming out so we asked them why. "Oh! They've got some rubbish singer on, but it'll be better next week as they're getting Joe Brown."
    The "rubbish singer" to whom they were referring, was Cliff Richard.

I've never liked the Brit "copyists" of the late fifties and early sixties, but I've a grudging appreciation of some of Dusty Springfield's recordings, though I have none.

Another recollection of that time which still amuses me. Round the back of Oxford Circus there was a basement coffee bar called The Martinique." It was suitably dressed out in tropical decorations the tables and chairs were a miss-match. But it had an ambiance. After a year of occasionally visiting it after work, it closed and re-opened after a re-vamp. It now looked more like a Wimpy bar, with mirrors on the walls and all new Formica top tables. It was pretty soulless. It was owned by a little fat Jewish guy who was pleasant enough, who had a very attractive daughter who helped him out of an evening. She was probably still at school or college.
    One evening when as usual there were few people in it, we heard him call out to her,
    "Loretta! You've brought back two coffee cups and only one spoon!"

We stopped going there after that.

DianneWoollie and Dirtmechanic like this.
  6. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Good stories and memories for us both then... My late best mate Rosi and I worked in 25 Savile Row London for The Forestry Commission for a few years until the FC moved to Basingstoke... so we had all the going scene on tap also. Know the name 2is coffee bar but do not know if it was one of our Haunts. We tended to go to the clubs at weekends as Rosi's Dad was very strict..harsh I always thought but my late Dad was strict but fairer.
    Marquee and the 100 club come to mind and Ronnie Scotts a few times but we were not into Jazz just a phase for a while. Best ever group we saw at one of the London Clubs was The Who..great times...

My husband is the same with music.. in the DoghouseRiley..haha..he is stuck in the 60's were he started. I love to just give all music a trial and now I am into just recently Nightwish which was not the type of music I had listened to before, but some of the songs they perform really got to me especially the song Nemo, One Republic, Kodaline, James Bay, always Bon Jovi and Led Zepplin but then I can easily switch to Paul McCartney Jose Carreras and Julio Iglesias to name just a few... who knows who or what music I will enjoy tomorrow..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2021
    Dirtmechanic and Doghouse Riley like this.