Some Irish Recipies.

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Philip Nulty, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Toni,
    i was surprised you liked the Lamb,..i invited three American friends to a holiday in Spain,..where you can get lots of Lamb,..the first night i took them to one of my favorite Farmhouse Restaurants where they cook the Lamb on a Spit for you to see,..as the American visitors had never eaten Lamb,(2 from Utah and 1 from Indiana)i was sure it would go down well,..but no,..neither of the three liked it.

Lamb,..is the highest priced meat in Ireland.
    Then Beef,Pork and last and cheapest is Chicken,..before foot and mouth disease broke out Beef was the highest priced and Lamb second,..as nobody was eating Beef they upped the price of Lamb,..and never changed it back.

Jerry i am pleased to read that!,..and i hope when you are presented with a meal of it that you enjoy it,..i also remember my Mother cooking it,..and my Ex,..i could never say who cooked it best,..both were mouthwatering!,..i think the secret was to cook it the day before the meal was put on the table.

2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Philip, why did you post this, WHY?! :stew2: This makes me weak at the knees!

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yeah, me too, but I am betting it is for a totally different reason. :eek: I'm pretty sure I know what the black slice in the middle is

4. Frank

It's almost the best part of that breakfast :)

Advertisement
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Frank,
    oh just lol here at your reply!,..it does something to you doesn't it!,..getting what resembles an Irish Breakfast anywhere in the world still does not taste the same as when served to you at home.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Hi Toni,
    you probably guessed right,..that black slice in the middle is good old "Black Pudding",..just above it is nearly as good,.."White Pudding",..below is a closer view of the puddings.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

And to top it off,..for those of you with a longing,..a good old fashioned view of a Full Irish Breakfast,mmmmmmmm!.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

#1. that is just waaaaay toooo much food for the am. absolutely CANNOT eat that in the morning.:eek:

#2. just what is the black thing? it looks like I would push it to the side and hope there is a dog or big napkin close by. Charred anything is not on my plate. EVER. :D

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That isn't charred, it's 'Black Pudding' also called Blood Pudding because it is ...well made with blood.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

okay. so it's not charred,but it still doesn't look good, but I would be willing to at least taste it. I always make/made my kids taste everything offered. I didn't make them eat it. BUT if they liked it they could have all they wanted. "Surprisingly" enough my kids often found they liked something they weren't sure about. HM :-? so I suppose, I might like it. You never know.

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Carolyn,
    let me try to sell "White Pudding" to you,..it usually comes in the shape of a "Salami",..as does "Black Pudding".

White Pudding Ingredients.

Oats,(0r Bread),Shredded Pork,Suet,Sugar,it can contain Onions, and may have Cinnamon or other sweet oriented Spices.

Black Pudding!!,..contains pretty much the same ingredients,..BUT it contains Pigs Blood.

Taste of "White Pudding is very similar to "Stuffing".

Taste of "Black Pudding" is hard to describe,..but once tasted you will always remember it,..and long for more of it, :) .

Black Pudding when raw pictured below.

[​IMG]
    Raw Black Pudding. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

Frank likes this.
  10. Frank

Carolyn, you wouldn't regret that. I think black pudding just pips white pudding to the post for being tastier.

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thats exactly what we have most mornings with ham or bacon/sausage and sliced fresh tomatoes.

12. Farmer

Farmer New Seed

My favourite :)

Irish Stew

Irish stew is easy to make and if made with mutton and cooked slowly will be both flavorsome and tender. Mutton, being an older meat, has more flavor than lamb but does need to be cooked for a couple Irish Stewof hours over a low heat with liquid. It should not be allowed to boil or the flavor will be spoiled. There is little agreement as to the classic recipe - should there be carrots? Should the meat be browned? Should mutton, lamb, beef, bacon or even kid be used? The following dish will be found to be hearty and nourishing and traditional enough.

2 1/2 lb boned mutton
    4 large potatoes
    2 large onions
    3 or 4 medium carrots
    sprig of parsley
    2 cups water
    salt and pepper
    (serves four)

Cut the meat into good size chunks. Peel the vegetables and slice thickly. Chop the parsley. Choose a pot with a well-fitting lid and put in the ingredients in layers, starting and finishing with potatoes. Pour in the water and season to taste. Cover and put on a very low heat for about 2 1/2 hours until the meat is tender and the potatoes have thickened the liquid. The dish may also be made with lamb, in which case it requires only 1 1/2 hours cooking time.

----------------------------------------------------

Potato Soup

The basis of a good soup - especially a simple soup such as this - is a good stock. The soup should be made with a white stock, that is, water in which a chicken, ham or bacon has been boiled. Alternatively, stock canPotato Soup be made from a ham bone or chicken carcass boiled with a few root vegetables and herbs as available, and an onion. The stock should be drained, allowed to cool and the fat removed from the surface.

6 medium potatoes
    2 medium onions
    3pt/ 1/2 l/ 6 cups stock or milk and water mixed
    1tbsp butter
    parsley
    salt and pepper
    (serves six)

Peel and dice the potatoes and chop the onions. Melt the butter and gently cook the onions and potatoes in a covered saucepan until soft but not coloured. Add the liquid, adjust the seasoning to taste, sieve if wished and serve in bowls decorated with a little chopped parsley.

This soup is really easy to prepare ;)

Not necessarily irish dishes, ( I'm not sure ) but serve they in Dublin.
    We ate those on holiday in one of
    Dublin restaurants and after that I found those dishes on a website.

My mum tried to prepare it :D:D:D. She made dishes very well. It is really delicious. I recommend!

13. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Boxtie, that recipe is the same as my dad's German Potato Pancakes. Dad would usually cook Sunday night supper, as we would have our biggest meal of the day, dinner, in the early afternoon. Toasted cheese sandwiches and milkshakes, or potato pancakes and applesauce were his standbys. So much easier to make now with a food processor, than when we were a kid.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Lord be praised, our local grocery had lamb! Next they'll be getting hen's teeth. They're nice folks there, but not on the culinary cutting edge.
    Anyway, I got the lamb and Irish Stew is on the menu for next week. I tried the recipe with beef and it just isn't the same.

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Farmer,
    thank you for the recipe,..the Irish Stew in particular,..i often think about cooking a stew,..then end up cooking something quick,..but seeing the recipe and the mention of Mutton and Lamb,..well its on the menu for this week,..i agree Lamb is nice but Mutton is tastier.

I love Potato Soup,..or Potato and Leek,..lol i had some twice this week.

Hi Karrma,
    i had never heard of Boxtie until i moved in to the countryside,..i was amazed to find it was Potato Cake,..or as you say German Potato Pancakes,..great stuff to take on a fishing trip.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Hi Jane,
    surprise,surprise,Lamb,..i mentioned somewhere in the forum that my friends in Indiana and Utah had not eaten Lamb,..now that really surprised me.

True,..Beef is not the same at all in the stew it just isn't sweet enough to my taste buds,..hope you enjoy your stew this week.