Sorting and organizing!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by dooley, Aug 6, 2012.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

dr has spent a few weeks now working on his shed. He has it about done so he's been sorting and putting in shelves and brackets and getting things organized. We moved our stuff from storage and he has it neatly stacked on pallets in one corner.
    I watched him get his stuff organized and decided my sewing room needed work, too. So I've spent a couple of days sorting, folding, restacking and making the room feel spacious again. It looks so much better. I have six large shelves and a couple small shelves of neatly stacked material and several of those stacking drawers with accessories.
    I might take some pictures tomorrow. I do need a before picture though. Do you think I need to mess it up again?

dooley

Frank likes this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sorting? Organizing? Dooley, you are a wonder! No, don't go to the bother of messing your sewing room up to take a "before" picture. I can just go look at my work area to see a horrific mess.
    Do post a photo of your neat and tidy sewing room. It may inspire those of us who need to :oops: , to get cracking (but don't bet the farm on it!).

carolyn likes this.
  3. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

oh, you shame me I've had sorting and organizing on my list for months now... I moved all my sewing stuff into my office and then realized it was a terrible idea... now it's all on the bed in the spare rooms and needs to be sorted and put away... and the office stuff I moved to get ready for the sewing stuff also needs to be sorted and put back!

4. dooley

Here's a picture I took this morning. I should have been a bit farther back but it's a small room. I'm thinking that maybe I should have stacked in color coordinated rows. Red with red, etc. I don't think it will get done anytime soon though. It just got stacked and it took me two days.

[​IMG]
    dooley's organized sewing shelves ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

It still looks a little messy and that is only part of the shelves.

dooley

Advertisement
  5. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

It looks very organized to me! If I had any energy I'd show you my mess! But i am out in the screenroom writing with the dogs. We finally replaced the two dead ceiling fans this weekend and it is now bearable out here! 77º 84% humidity.... moist, everything and everyone is moist!

6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Wow thats alot of fabric. Sure looks neat to me. People think I have alot of paint. I do and it's a very messy area. "I'm not messy, just creative".

7. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Thank you Dooley, I just spent an hour sorting and if I can spare and hour or two each day I should be done in a week! You are an inspiration!

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, sorting and organizing???? I think I would just get a dumpster or a few big boxes and get rid of my stuff. If I don't use it at least once a year I don't think I should keep it, but that is only in theory....hmmm, I don't play any of those musical instruments taking up an enormous amount to room in the great room, or the ping pong table we just "had to have" according to my husband, or the paper blue print file taking up an ginormous corner in the basement ...behind the ping pong table....but that is getting rid of all the stuff that doesn't belong to me, so I had better not, just yet.

Dooley your room looks great by the way. Pretty inspiring. Hopefully all the others on here can show us their progress...me? I don't have time, energy or enough inspiration I guess :rolleyes: It sounds like a lot of work to me.

9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Dooley sounds like that would be something right up my alley. I love to organize. I know, I know sounds weird but I do. I come by it naturally. My Mom loves to do the same thing. So I guess I could blame it on her. When my Mom and I go into a Goodwill store looking for a few treasures. We need to steer clear of the picture isle or we find ourselves straightening and organizing them. I guess we have a declutter fetish. ;)

10. dooley

The reason it's so hard to keep things organized is the little animals come out at night to play. That's Opus, the penquin from The Bloom County cartoon.
    There is also an anteater and several bears somewhere in the vicinity. I do collect bears but don't have as many as I had at one time.

dooley

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Dooley or Tooty, Do you need a place to vacation this Fall....???I have a bed I would be willing to give up for your skills..... :rolleyes: I could take you to Amish country or the Warthers Museum, the amusement park, The Akron or Cleveland zoo , The Football Hall of Fame, There is the Rock and Roll one, too, but not up my alley, I would be happy to pick you up and drop you off there...Oh The many things to see and do around here, most of them less than an hour away.... or just bask here in the country side of Wadsworth... :rolleyes:

12. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Dooley,I am wondering what kind of things you sew? I guess it is posted on here somewhere but I don't remember.I used to quilt & collected fabric from 88 up until last year.It is mind boggling how much I have accumulated.That's the way lots of us quilters are.I have one large chest of drawers full. Several large plastic totes full. Boxes of it in 2 closets,under 2 beds.I couldn't have it on open shelves because of fading & dust.I couldn't hand quilt now because my right hand gets stiff.I can use scissors & cutter,but
    sparingly.I'd like to get rid of a lot of fabric but my husband says I might want to use it.Ha, If this drought continues I might try to take it up again.
    I really admire people who have organization skills. I
    might be a hoarder.My daughter would say "might be,heck.Mom , You are a hoarder!"
    sewNsow

13. dooley

Hoarders have no practical use for what they hoard. If you use it, it's not hoarding. I sew aprons of all kinds, farm, garden, barbecue, kids, etc. I, also, sew garden tote bags, book bags and just regular old tote bags. I sell them at the farm market or festivals, etc where vendors set up. I've sold a few to members here who ask. I don't sell them here or to friends unless they ask. I used to quilt but don't anymore. I generally just made them for family or for friends having babies. Last one was for grandchildren. In fact I have one with a large dinosaur started that I really should finish before the kid is out of high school.
    dooley

14. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

I guess I'm not a hoarder then.I had every intention of using what I collected.Some of my fabric is collectable. I have many old feed sacks.I have used some of the old fabrics in quilts. I didn't usually cut into whole bags but had enough scraps to use.I'd like to make a very colorful purse or tote some day.I made a clothespin bag
    recently.
    You sound like a person who never says"I'm bored".
    sNs

15. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Dooley how about coming over here and sorting out my craft room? You could bring Tooty with you. :-D