Southern highbush blueberry plant need help

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by RebeccaMilliren, May 12, 2022.

1. RebeccaMilliren

RebeccaMilliren New Seed

Need help my kids got a southern high bush blueberry bush from their 4h . I transplanted them and they were doing great now the leaves are brown and the one has lost there leaves all together can I bring the one back to life and what can I do with the other one .

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Have you checked the PH of your soil ? Bluebberries need acid soil to do well ! How long have you had them planted ? Mine did the same thing here in Texas !

Melody Mc. likes this.
  4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

They need drainage, and moisture to drain. How are they planted?

Melody Mc. likes this.
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I don't have that variety but I do have blueberries. In agreement with Mart and DM, they do need an acidic soil. Peat can help in the long term, but sulpher is a little quicker. Most commercial growers here use sulpher powder. I have to check my PH twice every year and try to adjust accordingly. They like a loamy soil that drains well, and lots of organic matter. Wet feet are not their friend.

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Greenbeans

Greenbeans New Seed

My soil is hard, clay....does not drain well. My daughter wanted blueberries. So she bought plants and put them in pots in a good potting mix mixed with some sand and compost. The pots are about 5 gallon pots. Some of these plants are 3 years old. She fertilizes with Holly Tone, fertilizing in early spring before the leaves have grown in. This gives the fertilizer time to be absorbed by the roots of the blueberry before it enters its active growth stage during summer. We feed new plants once in early spring and again in late spring. Healthy, established plants, she feeds once a year. We built arches with PVC and put bird netting over it. IMG_6905-(2).jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.