Southern Michigan Weather report.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by alleyyooper, Feb 4, 2007.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I do soooo love lilac. I'll have to wait until May though before my trees bloom.

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Seedling

8:18AM 3-4-07
    23F, feels like 11F, humidity 66%, wind W @ 12MPH.

Yesterday was about the same as Friday with snow showers all day long. The snow is starting to pile up some again.
    :D :D Friend in Minnesota posted new fresh snow for sale, terms can be worked out and you pay the shipping on our bee forum. He has gotten 40 some inches of new snow in the last week.
    I spent yesterday trying to get the last of the wax melted and finishing up some reloading. I still have about 12 pounds to go yet to finish the wax.

[​IMG]

Our Lilacs bloom about the end of May too, unless we have a warm spring then they come sooner.

:-D Al

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great shot of that deer Al! We have plenty of deer here but they have never come close enough to get a photo of.
    My lilacs usually bloom mid to late May too...just about the time the first hummingbirds appear.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have never been able to have a lilac live.I will maybe get to see Heathers Lilac trees bloom this year she has
    6 or 7 growing along the back of her
    back yard fence .They are really large
    trees.

Advertisement
  5. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

We can't have lilacs in hot wet New Orleans. There is one way I have heard of, but don't know if it works. Every morning, pour a tray of ice cubes at the base of the plant. That's all I need...to be a slave to a lilac.

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Seedling

7:31AM 3-5-07
    27F, feels like 13F, humidity 46%, Wind NW @ 22MPH.

Whew the wind is just howling this morning. the sky is cloudy too as we are forecast to get snow some time starting this afternoon into tomorrow.
    :) We have lots of Lilacs, mostly white ones that bloom and some of the light lavander ones. We have one of the dark purple ones that blooms. We have several of different colors that we have planted but they haven't bloomed for us yet.

The deer do relish our burning bushes.

[​IMG]

7. Netty

I have the same problem with the rabbits and my burning bushes every winter.

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I have heard that too Jan, don't know what good it would do when the temps get over 100 degrees in the afternoon though.

9. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

I have never tried the ice cube trick, but agree that it might be a useless try with our heat. I would love to have lilacs like I grew up with tho.

10. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I too would love lilacs but I seem to have a different problem with them that no one has mentioned. Mine is called husband with weed whacker. He can't seem to stay away from the lilacs that I have started more than once. Our neighbor even laughs about it now.

11. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

My across the street neighbor puts car tires around her small starter trees and shrubs so hubby won't weed whack. Don't you know *that's* attractive???

12. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Sorry Jan but car tires are not attractive no matter what your neighbor thinks. I think a better idea in my case is to hide either the weed whacker or the gas can.

13. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Car tires are not attractive no matter where they are, not even on a car. I am anxious to see how they are going to remove those tires when the trees and shrubs get bigger.

14. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Seedling

7:31am 3-6-07
    0F, Feels like -8F, humidity 54%, wind NNW @ 6 MPH.

I have seen tires with one sides bead cut off and scalloped so they look like flower pedals and painted to look rather well thank you. So simple To cut a tire in half and remove them from around a tree/shrub.
    :) Either take the weed whaker away from the offending party and do the job your self or just not allow weed whaking to be done.

[​IMG]

15. Netty

I've banned my husband from using the weed eater, with the exception of the grass on the steep sides of the driveway. He's an animal with that thing!