Spoils of last Saturday's shopping trip

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Jun 17, 2013.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really thought I had bought more than this. But it would appear that my daughter bought more than I did...time to go shopping again!! ;) Not really, I am kind of tired of looking at junque....except if I find a VW door with the window intact I will have to reconsider that statement.

This was labeled as a cabinet door, it does have hinges on that bottom edge so I guess they were correct. Wish it had still been attached to the cabinet, that would have been adorable.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

This little chair was only $3 and screaming my name! It's 13" tall, 5"wide and 4" deep. I think it will be in shade garden holding a doodad, when I can decide which one.
    [​IMG]

The small basket is not old but very cute, nonetheless. I am going to put empty seeds packets in it and use it for a pretty in the shed we are building.
    [​IMG]

The drawers are smaller than old sewing machine drawers and one will fit perfectly into a really funky birdcage I found a few weeks ago...guess I had better post that photo too. Anyway, treated with sealer (maybe painted) and planted with mint it will sit out on the front porch in the birdcage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have this 'thing' for shutters :smt007 I am thinking attached together to make a square plant or doodad stand, painted and sealed would be cute.
    [​IMG]

And this was just too cool to pass by. I think it was probably made to be a stool in a workshop or someplace, all the corners are curved and sanded very smooth and it's the right height for sitting at a work bench of some kind. Haven't decided yet where it will go.
    [​IMG]

This was probably our last junque trip for the summer. I swore to myself that I would spend the next three months concentrating on getting all my goodies out in the yard where they are supposed to be before we go to the 37 mile long yard sale in Sept.

Frank, Jewell and AAnightowl like this.
  2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh You have some good junque there. I can think of a million things to do with every piece. Please keep us posted on it's use.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Another great lot of goodies Toni. I really like the little chair and the basket. I'd use the 'stool' as a stool for the greenhose. It would be handy for sitting on when I've got lots of plants to repot. The drawer is going to look good in the birdcage and I like your idea of growing mint in it. The cabinet door could become a nice piece of fencing that I'm sure you can find a home for. Now I'll have to wait until September before seeing any more of your junquing treasures. :(

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Yippee... junque photo time!
    Oh I can see that cabinet door as either a backdrop or a border. Now as far as that chair. I think you should let it come sit near my old chairs and have a colorful pot of flowers sitting on it. Okay... you found it, you can keep it. 8) Can't wait to see what doodad you choose to go with it.
    That "new" basket will look great in your shed. I can just see it now with colorful seed packs.... great idea.
    Wait... that colorful circus looking thing is a bird cage???? :eek: I probably would have had to pick it up too just because it's so wacky! I feel sorry for a bird that would have to live in it though. :D
    Oh boy... that stool! What a find. I agree with Eileen... looks perfect for your shed.
    What kind of stuff did your daughter find?

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Sorry to hear you are junqued out Toni but I could see how that could happen. What a haul to end this year's session though. Favourites are the far out bird cage and the stool.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks all, glad you like my junque finds.

Barb, I usually have an assortment of ideas for each item too but then I put off picking one of them and the stuff sits in my closet for ages :rolleyes:

Eileen, pretty sure that by sometime in late July the junqueing urge will hit again and be too strong to resist. Maybe if I cut back to once every 6 weeks I won't burn out on it quite so quickly ;)

Cheryl, before joining GardenStew could you ever imagine yourself saying "Yippee..junque photo time" :) My daughter found an small adorable table for somewhere in her apartment, a beautiful beaded/embroidered clutch purse for fancy wear, a black faux wood planter that looks like a Tiki god and some other small things for the house. Next time we are over there I'll get some photos.

Frank, looking at the pile of stuff in my room just from the junque trips in the last 30 days,I think I got a little carried away and then I think ummmmm,not really and what am I missing out on by not heading out again. The enabler is addicted. :eek:

I think I like the idea of using that stool in my garden shed instead of as a plant stand, thanks for the idea.
    That cabinet door was destined to be a backdrop someplace in the garden from the minute I saw it. Now I have to decide whether to paint it or just seal it...I usually like to leave things looking like I found them.
    The birdcage was found at a local thrift store back in April and I have just been forgetting to take a photo. I think I will paint the drawer that will go in a blue or orange. That scroll work across the middle of the cage is really purple, it just didn't come out as such in the photo. Blue and Orange are the only two colors not on that cage so they need to be there somewhere...maybe paint the drawer half blue/half orange or blue and orange stripes, swirls or polka-dots.

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I love your finds too! I have been watching every day for your post.

That little basket destined for seed packets would also make a great little planter. You could put a small plastic dish of some kind inside, and dirt and some creeping seedum or other small plant and hang it in your greenhouse...

Birdcages also make great planters for shallow rooted plants, especially if they will hang down.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

This is before I planted it with creeping yellow sedums... The photo was lost in my computer someplace, but I finally found it.

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

:?: :eek: I probably have 50 of those exact ones frrom when I raised baby birds. They are all cleaned and packed away. That's what I used to keep each sold baby in. One to a cage after they got sold and they were still being hand fed. The customers would come in and get their own baby out to play with it while I fed it out. I put their names on the one they picked so it wouldn't get mixed up with others. I haven't seen those cages in 7 years now.

OMG, Mad and crazy thoughts run through my brain about growing all kinds of things in them, times 50, and putting them on display outside somewhere. Some have flat tops and they stack beautifully. :D :D :D

10. Tina

Tina Young Pine

How cool! I will wait for pictures when they are in the yard.

11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Barb that is awesome! I cant wait to see your pics too. I got my bird cage at a yard sale for $5. It was a bit much, but I paid it anyway.