Spraying for dandelions and pets

Discussion in 'Pets' started by muddypaws, Apr 15, 2012.

1. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

The guy at Home Depot told me it would be safe to let the dogs back out the next morning after I sprayed for dandelions. The yard is too large to section off. What do you think?

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

NO! is my thought. would I let my kids walk in it or would I myself? Is my test of a product. Is this a 2,4-d product that you are using? No scientific evaluation from me, just common sense. I don't think he was practical telling you that your dogs could go out there the next day, or you could call the vets office and ask them. But I think I wouldn't let mine out on it.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Some weedkillers are safe to use around pets and children. Let's hope the one you bought, and used, is one of them. Double check on the packaging before letting the dogs out just to be on the safe side.

4. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

Once it is dry on the plant it is safe for pets to walk on. Is a vet tech we get this ?? a lot at our clinic. Pesticides are a much larger threat to you pets an weed killers.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Muddypaws, the last person I'd go to for advice is "the guy at Home Depot". If he had a degree in toxicology, veterinary medicine, or horticulture, he wouldn't be at HD! Check the container, and if you still have questions, ask your vet before exposing your pets to something that could make them ill. The size and age of the dogs can make them less/more susceptible to harm.
    Why are you spraying for dandelions? They are a favorite food of honeybees and other pollinators and are seasonal, here for a short time and then gone. We have dandelions all over the yard, with honeybees all over the blossoms. In three or four weeks the dandelions will be gone and the bees will move on to something else, but in the meantime, it's dandelion honey-making time!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

I HATE Dandelions... my no 1 enemy!

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have heard that if your spray herbicides regularly on your lawn, the level may be perfectly safe in your lawn, but can actually build up to unsafe levels indoors on your rugs if you don't take shoes off indoors. Don't know if it is true.

You can tell from my awful awful lawn that we don't use chemicals. We have an acre of trimmed weeds....