Spring onions in zoysia

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by daisybeans, Mar 30, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hello... Anyone know of a good way to get rid of spring onions spread in lots of places in my zoysia? They are in some of my beds too... I guess digging is the only way, huh? There are soooo many this Spring... I don't know why.

PS -- These are not the edible kind.....

2. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

hi daisybeans! i never heard of onion plants that one cannot eat? what types are these?

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That could be Onion Weed, from what I read they look like onions but are not onions. Anyway, be careful when you pull them, they spread like other bulbs so when you think you have pulled them up there may be one or more tiny bulblets that have broken off and will continue to grow.

Weeds like poor soil, using chemical weed killers will simply feed them instead of kill them. Making your soil richer by using organic products will over feed them and kill them off.
    Have they ever bloomed? There are wild forms of Jonquils, Iris and Hyacinths that resemble the onion leaves.

4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Advertisement
  5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Aha! Bunkie, VERY helpful. Thank you for doing all the research work for me! These onion weeds are also in one of my beds, and I have been trying to pull or use a trowel to dig them out. Now I see why that wasn't working! Adding compost and muching are soon to be done anyway, so I am now hopeful for a good outcome there. The grass... I have to say, I don't spend much time on the grass... and it shows. I try to remember I can't do it all... I don't use any chemicals on anything. Will have to give some thought to this situation... Thanks again. Nice of you to take interest.

6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I forgot to say, Toni, they don't bloom. They look like chives or very slim spring onions and they have small onions bulbs on the bottom. They come up in clumps. Now I understand why!