Springs of 2019 and 2020 Almost Made Me Give Up Gardening

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Droopy, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Both years spring started out normal(-ish) for here with plenty of rain and fairly mild temps. Then in the beginning of May the forecast said snow and maybe frost. We have some plants that don't take kindly to getting snow dumped on their heads when they're in bud or blooming. Some are inherited, some are rare or hard to come by here and some are awfully expensive. What to do? How to cover? And which of them to cover? On with the panic!

In 2019 I gathered our big pots, garden fleece, and lots of plant supports and went to work to save what I could.The garden looked like a giant spider habitat when I was done. My panic-plant-covering plan didn't really work too well because the snow was very wet and heavy, but it worked well enough. The snow stayed for two or three days. We didn't lose any plants. Here's what it looked like: (The photos are thumbnails, just so you know.)

2019.jpg 2019B.jpg 2019C.jpg 2019D.jpg

Roll on to the beginning of May 2020. Same sort of spring, lots of blooms already and everything well underway, and snow and frost on the forecast. This time it would last for at least a week they said. I am lucky enough to have a forward-thinking husband. We discussed the shortcomings of my hasty coverjob of 2019 and he now had a much better plan. Ladders, the firewood sawing thingy, tarpaulin, and straps to secure loads. We hauled everything into the garden and started building, but this time all our tender plants' neighbours also got cover. Here's what that looked like:

2020A.jpg 2020B.jpg 2020C.jpg 2020D.jpg 2020E.jpg

The little square structure sheltered our Cypripedium. I had some comments from a woman who couldn't understand why I went to all that trouble for plants. If they died I could just buy new ones. I asked her if she would share the cost with me. To replace those big clumps of Cypripedium would cost me a few thousand NOK. Luckily they all survived bar one, but that one wasn't fully hardy. We do try to push limits. Sometimes it works.

These little beauties didn't mind the frost and snow at all, and they look rather nice with their white decor:

Erythronium'Pagoda':
    2019E.jpg

Meconopsis quintuplinerva:
    2019F.jpg

This year we had a normal spring without any early May snow. But if we get one of these late-snow springs again we're prepared!

Jewell, Dirtmechanic, Zigs and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Never give up Droopy - looks like you found a way. In case it might help, a fairly cheap and easy alternative can be achieved with canes and water pipes.... like this .....
    upload_2021-11-4_19-30-20.jpeg
    You stick the pipe over the canes that are poked into the ground, and fix on another cane along the top too hold it all together. I prefer the long cane on top to be fixed underneath the hoops, either with string or sticky tape, because then the snow falls off easier, and the cover doesn't have lumps under it :nerdy:

Zigs also used this method in his new cactus house as it is a way of keeping the heat up a few degrees for some of the more needy spiny thingamebobs :setc_070: These cloches can be used for tunnel polythene, insect netting or shade netting, and they also give a bit of protection from nasty creatures like our red legged French partridges which cause havoc and mayhem if allowed :smt091

Droopy, Sjoerd, Zigs and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a valiant effort Droopy. I would have tried the same solutions...and have already in fact. With gardening, the hardest lessons we learn stick with us the longest and on top of that; it gives us the mental tools to solve new problems.
    You really had it tough didn’t you. I am so glad that that the damage was minimal.

But,”almost stopped”— nah mate, I don’t buy that for a minute. You are tough as nails and a consummate gardener with years of experience and expertise...and in addition to that you are smart.

Well done you.

5. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

You did well Droopy :)

Droopy likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Well done Droopy!
    I also don't believe for a minute that you were going to give up gardening ;)
    But if you really do, you will have to send me all your Hostas haha

Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Thanks for the tip @Tetters . The covered border is two meters wide and around ten meters long, then there's the corner and another five meters down, so that would be a lot of big hoops for this one only. I have narrower borders where hoops would work a treat! The new Cypripedium border might get a teepee if we need first-aid-cover come spring.

Hey, @Sjoerd I'm afraid I was so fed up I really thought of giving up most of the garden and just keep my little jewels. Thanks for having such faith in me.

Ty @Zigs .

Well, @Netty , do you have room for another 118 Hostas? I hear there's a world-wide shipping container shortage.

Netty, Sjoerd, Zigs and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You’re alright, mate.

Droopy likes this.