St John's Wort

Discussion in 'Plant and Seed Exchange' started by waretrop, Oct 1, 2012.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    St John's Wart

[​IMG]
    St John's Wart

These little plants were started in Sept 2011. I took these pictures in January 2012. Now they are 2 feet long.

My original plant has been in the ground for 5 years and it is still only 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall. It has little yellow flowers all over it in the summer.

I am going to put them all over the property because it's such a neat plant to look at. I have so many I would like to offer them to someone who would like one. I don't want any money nor the postage.

Just pm me and I will send them out by US mail the next day. Please don't pm me if it's illegal for you to receive them.

Barb in Pa.

2. craftie2

craftie2 New Seed

st john wort

H barb

Do you still have any of these left. If so I would like some please. Just let me know what I need to do next. Thank you

Margie :-D

3. waretrop

Oh yes, I do have allot of it still in pots on the floor in the greenhouse. They have lost most of their leaves and have gone to a little rest time for we have kept the heat on the lower side this Winter.

This plant turns out to be very nice. Well shaped and needs little care. I, being up North, cut it back after Fall is complete and new sprouts will appear from the center of it, at ground level in the Spring.

It has been said this plant is very invasive but I have not seen any evidence in that here up North. It may be in warmer regions but I don't know that.

I have given many of these plants to many members here but haven't heard how they are doing. I do think you can do just about anything with these little plants without harming them. They are well rooted and probably growing out of the pots and into the greenhouse floor.

Please pm your name and address and I will send you one. You will receive it out of pot, bare root by regular mail. I would plant it right away even if it's Winter there. It really will survive.

4. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

This plant can be a BAD boy! it spreads underground bu runners. Can take over an flower bed fast. FYI!

Advertisement
  5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

6. waretrop

I have just one plant in my front garden and it grows to about a 2 foot high dome and so lush with little yellow flowers on the tips of the stems. It has been there for about 7 years and is well nourished. It has not spread in any way. There is plenty of chance if it wanted to for I never even loosen the soil around it out to about 20 feet. Never spread. The way I propagate this plant is by taking young end clippings. It does root so so easily for me.

It's such a nice plant I have plans on locating it in that triangle garden in the upper part of our property that I started a post about last year. I was actually hoping that it would spread up there but I know it wont so I have many many new babies to put out there in the Spring.

Now Florida or warmer climates may be different.