Starting begonia seeds

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by carolyn, May 2, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Has anyone started begonia seeds? I tried Gryphon this year and none of them germinated. I used bottom heat and a covered flat in the greenhouse. No luck on any of the seeds. Any ideas on a better method?

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I've never tried begonia seeds but I have tried the tubers. Didn't have much luck :'( I was disappointed because my grandma always had such awesome begonias :-?

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Aside from a bad batch of seed did you sterilize the pots and the container including the cover? Hot water? bleach? Did you sterilize the soil mix?

Jerry

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Everything was either new, sterile or bleached. I got almost all of my seed from HPS this year, Everything except the begonias and a batch of marigolds(can you believe that?) germinated with excellent results. I am wondering if they were bad. the only thing to germinate in the tray was an impatien seed. I was not starting any impatiens at the time. Although I did have some plants in the greenhouse, there is a minute possibility that a seed was hurtled under the grow light, under a clear cover an into the one small batch of begonia seeds I had there. ;) sarcasm and lol ;)