starting hostas, bleeding hearts, and caladiums

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by sranna, Feb 22, 2014.

1. sranna

sranna New Seed

I'm getting the urge to get my flowers and plants underway; however,it's much too earlier to plant them outside. I thought that maybe I could save some money and start my own plants rather than purchasing them. Can I start hostas roots, bleeding heart roots, and caladium bulbs in my basement? I thought I would make newspaper containers and then just plant the entire thing so I wouldn't disturb them when I transplant. My basement temperature is usually about 65 degrees. Is that warm enough to start them? If not, would a warming mat work?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

75 would be better but see no reason why you can`t do that. Might just grow more slowly. Once they leaf out they will need sunlight though.
    If you are in a cold area it might be better that they grow slower rather than too fast. It will make better and stronger plants.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

are you buying the roots and bulbs? is this why you want to start them? or are you dividing from established plants?

If you are buying roots/bulbs I would say you would be best to get them into some kind of growing medium. Otherwise they may dry out and die by the time spring gets here. If you are dividing from established plants just replant the division where you want it and let it grow in place.

sranna likes this.
  5. sranna

sranna New Seed

I'm going to buy the roots/bulbs at the store though I haven't gotten them yet. I thought I'd gather information first. Starting the roots/bulbs seemed less expensive than buying the plants. I'm on a pretty small budget, but I love a nice yard.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Get them as soon as they put them out for sale otherwise the roots tend to break dormancy and whither away inside those packages on the store shelf.. Pot them up and wait on them to start growing in your basement if you have sufficient light after they break dormancy OR pot them up and put them in a sheltered area outside and let them wake up naturally...

sranna likes this.