Starting on the front garden

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I never got around to winterizing the front garden last year.....bad Ronni!!! :crying: So I had extra work to do to get it in shape for the coming season. It also didn't help that with the weird weather we've been having, some of the perennials had already started to show themselves, flower, poke their little heads above the ground etc., so cleaning up the garden and doing the mulching and bits of pruning here and there was even more of a challenge.

Anyway, here are a several photos of my efforts. Nothing spectacular, mainly I just wanted to show how the garden has already taken off because of the unseasonably warm weather we had several weeks back.

So happy to see the rose bushes I planted last year coming back strong, in spite of the fact that I never pruned them back. Hasn't stopped them from leafing out in a big way already!
    [​IMG]

Day lilies at the top of the picture, already full. That plant with the one little pink flower on it towards the bottom of the pic? I planted it last year, thinking it was an annual, but there it is again!! There's another one in a later photos too, with more flowers on it. Anyone know what it is?
    [​IMG]]

Did a bit of work on the pots on the front porch. Nothing very exciting, but wanted to add some color for the Easter get together that Paige is having today.
    [​IMG]

Another view of the pink flowers I planted last year that I thought were annuals, but they came back. And the creeping jenny just starting to green up and spread out again.
    [​IMG]

That's the Easter Lily from last year just starting to poke through in the background. And I have no recollection of what those masses of white flowers are....they sure are prolific though...spreading out a bunch. Anyone know?
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your pink flowers are DIANTHUS Ronni and they'll keep coming back year after year and spreading. I have them here and look forward to seeing them each spring. Your white flowers look like ALYSSUM CARPET OF SNOW (Lobularia maritima alba.) I love their honey scent.
    You're doing a grand job with your tidying. Once you've finished there's a 1/3 of an acre needing done here. ;)

Sjoerd and 2ofus like this.
  4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Your clean-up looks great! The red, yellow and white colors really stand out and it all looks so neat. When you finish Eileen's, the snow should be gone here and you can come up and help me. ;)

5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ronnie looks beautiful. Any flowers this time of year look wonderful to me. We still have snow:eek:.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It all looks just as spiffy as can be.
    I agree that the pinko is probably a Dianthus. I cannot see it really, really well, but it does look like it from here.

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Dianthus! Right...now I remember! And alyssum...hmm. When I first planted that, two years ago, I would have planted it in a different spot if I'd known how much it would spread. Serves me right for not paying attention to the instructions...there's usually always some kind of note about not just growing conditions, but how the plant grows too. Silly me. Sure does look pretty though!!!

Eileen, 2ofus, I'd dearly LOVE to come visit and see your gardens in person...and if the exchange for that is that I work in 'em, then I say BRING IT! ;)

8. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I agree with Eileen and Sjoerd that the pink flower is a Dianthus. I have planted Dianthus for customers in the past.