Starting sprengerii asparagus from seed

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by carolyn, Feb 22, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have started sprengerii from seed that I purchased before and had no problems with them. This year since my sprengerii went to seed I thought I would start those in the greenhouse. any hints on making this work? Not a one of the seeds has germinated so far. All they have done was get moldy. I used peat pellets and coir pellets in a tray with a covered dome I tried it on the heat mat and directly on the bench to no avail. Maybe they are sterile?

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I grew Asparagus from seed once and it took a very LONG time to germinate Carolyn. I used an empty tray with promix, covered the seed slightly with the soil, no lid.
    Edited to add - I just realized you collected the seed. Maybe they need stratification?

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Mine have been sitting there stagnant for about 2 months now. I think I will dump it all and start over.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I went to dump it and found two tiny tiny tiny shoots coming out of pellets. I will just keep watching and waiting. I started another try though just to see if a different time of year makes a difference. Maybe more sunshine will make them sprout faster.