Strange and Unusual Gourd Seeds

Discussion in 'Plant and Seed Exchange' started by Bodhi, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

Hi gardening friends,
    I have been going crazy of late--ordering all kinds of gourd seeds. With Gino being an artist, I have taken a hankering to making gourd purses, planters, etc. (I do have an artistic flare of my own, thank you very much ;) )
    Anyways, they are all in and I have way, way too many to grow. And they are not cheap in most cases. I hate to let them go to waste, and know that you guys would all love and cherish them.
    So, besides the few seeds I am currently interested in, if you don't have it, I'll send for postage. Just remember me in the future, when I take on a 'new plant love...and you may just have it!'
    *Note: Please give me about 5 days to reply to your posts, I want to give everyone a chance to see, and possibly have some seeds to trade. Thanks for understanding. ;)

SEEDS I WANT:

*Any lantana except coloration shown below. I have it. Especially love the lavendar color shown on this Gardenstew thread, but do love them all: http://www.gardenstew.com/about20429.html

*Asclepias incarnata

*Any Asclepias besides tuberosa

*Seeds to canteen Gourd...I know, the ONLY gourd I forgot to order! :(

*Lithops, 'Living stone species'

Like i said, if you don't have, it's OK. I just don't want these seeds to go to waste. Some cost me 11.25 per pack (The Bushel) I'm going to keep 5 of each. The rest are up for grabs. I'll divide into 4 or 5's until gone.

SEEDS I HAVE:

*Large IPU seeds, (Bottle Gourds)
    *Mini iPU seeds (small Bottle gourds)
    **Large IPU Heke Top (Hard Shell Kettle gourd)
    **Large IPU Heke bottom (Tall martin seeds)
    *Bushel Gourds -120 days to maturity- (can make planters out of these)
    Fig leafed gourd (I think only one not hardshell)

**These two are used to make Hawaiian musical instrument, hence 'top' and 'bottom'

I'll weigh the seeds roughly when requested. I also don't know anything about shipping outside of the contingent USA, as have always traded within the states.

FYI, Google image following keywords for lovely Gourd Art photos: Gourd painted purses, Gourd painted bottles, Gourd beaded purses, Gourd Planters, African painted Bushel Gourds, ....well, you get the idea. ;)

[​IMG]
    Lantana that I Have ( photo / image / picture from Bodhi's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Various Gourd Seeds ( photo / image / picture from Bodhi's Garden )

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

At times like this Bodhi I wish we both lived in the same country and could trade. :( I have lots of ideas of what I could do with gourds!! Sadly the law doesn't allow you to send seeds to the UK so I'll just have to be content with photographs of how they grow for you and what you make out of the gourds.

3. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

Sorry the pic is so blurry. I got a Flip video and thought I was filming and was not, didn't push the start button so when I did push button I thought it was off...Any way this is duck made from a gourd, the artist had all kinds of gourds carved and transformed into works of art. hope this inspires you. You will have to use some imagination, it is the only pic that came out at all

[​IMG]
    gourd duck ( photo / image / picture from featherphobia's Garden )

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ok, I would kill for bushel basket gourd seed. But they are all over ebay at less cost. You can find anything you want there. Don`t think I would pay those prices. If you had just posted what you wanted here, I bet we could have saved you a bit of money. I have birdhouse and dipper gourds if you need more.

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WOW, I wish you hadn't had to pay so much for Bushel Gourd seeds. I got mine HERE a few years ago. They also have several different kinds of gourd seeds.

6. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

Good morning Toni,
    Oh, i'd love to see some pictures of them, if you took any. Did you have success with them? How big did you get? i'm going to 'superthrive' mine to see if I can get monsters.
    Yes, I got the seeds through a farm co-op, and was forced to order more than I wanted/needed. I always figured some gardening friends could use the rest, so i ordered them anyway.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Like I said before if you need birdhouse or dipper gourd ( think I still have dipper) let me know with address & I will send you some. I probably have 20 birdhouse gourds in the barn now drying.
    I will have to check your link Toni,I am getting Bushel gourds this year.