Strange butterfly (London, UK)

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by BenEastLondon, Aug 25, 2011.

1. BenEastLondon

BenEastLondon New Seed

Ok, this is a long shot!

The other day I was in the street in Brixton, South London and saw a completely unfamiliar "butterfly."

(The reason for the quotes is that when it landed it folded its upper wings over the lower ones, suggesting it might be a moth rather than a butterfly.)

Description:

Upper wings, black and white patterned.
    Lower wings, red and white patterned - the red was a more orangey tone than many other butterflies.

Overall this butterfly was large - bigger than a large white or red admiral, the biggest species you would normally see and its wings seemed more square-shaped than pointed like a normal butterfly and the upper and lower wings were closer to each other in size - usually the top wings are bigger.

Finally, when it flew, the wings seemed a lot more flimsy than most butterflies - the edges seemed to flap as if they were ragged.

I watched it for a few minutes and tried to get close enough for a photo before the it flew across the street and I lost it.

This was a very unusual butterfly - I'm not an expert, but I do recognise all the major species and this was bigger than anything I've seen in the wild.

Does anyone have any idea what I saw?!

Thanks!

2. Loading...