Strawberry Troubles

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by cheliscott, Mar 7, 2018.

1. cheliscott

cheliscott New Seed

I was hoping to grow a strawberry in a hanging basket this year, but it doesn't seem to be taking off. I've been nursing one tiny leaf for a few weeks now. Are they just slow growing or any tips on strawberry success?

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A couple of questions to clear some things up.
    One leaf.... did you break off a leaf and stick it into the soil? The roots come from the leaf nodes (either in water or soil) If there is no leaf node and a portion of stem in the soil under that leaf then you probably are not going to get roots.
    If you put a small plant in the soil then......
    By nursing...watering a lot, feeding? I know strawberries are a good crop in Florida (I loved the u-pick-it farms when I lived in WBP many years ago)
    Full sun, water only when the soil is dry down to the first knuckle when you stick you first finger in. Don't fertilize until more leaves show up.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Strawberries grow from crowns. did you start with a seed or is this a crown? how much sun is it getting/how warm is it or the soil? do not keep watering it. let it dry somewhat between waterings, keep it in a bright spot as long as possible each day or keep a grow light on it 14 hrs a day, if you can set it on a heat mat or a heating pad on low if it isn't warm. if you started with a dormant crown it takes time for the roots to grow. without a good root system it can't support the plant. if you started from seed... yes it takes quite a bit of time to get them going.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, Cheli, I have never grown a strawb in a hanger.
    You spoke of how slowly it is developing. I do not see where you live, so I cannot comment on the climatological aspect of this slow development. It is still very cold and moist over here where I live and so my strawbs are just "sitting still"at the moment.
    Before I speak to you about soil and feeding, it would be helpful to know where your home is, to get an idea of whether or not it should be developing yet.
    Also, are you keeping the plant indoors at the moment, or out-of-doors?

Toni and Carolyn have already given a good deal of helpful info.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018

Advertisement
  6. cheliscott

cheliscott New Seed

I've had it outside in full sun, but I have been watering it pretty heavily, thinking that would help, so maybe it is a bit too much!

hummerbum and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, you are right to think that strawbs require water, but when it is warmer and they are producing flowers and fruit...and after transplanting.
    It is like other things--one can have too much of a good thing.

hummerbum and cheliscott like this.
  8. cheliscott

cheliscott New Seed

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will post pictures if it improves in the next few months!

hummerbum, Sjoerd and Frank like this.
  9. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Cheliscott...Haven't put mine out yet...still in dormant stage. Got them a few weeks ago...but will be putting them in a strawberry crate. Should be interesting.