Strike While The Iron Is Hot

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The sun is out for a couple of days, so we struck while the iron was hot, as the old blacksmith used to say.

Out at the allotment complex, you see signs of the coming season— the clubhouse is again open during the afternoon for drinks and chatting, we’re just waiting for the terrace furniture to be put out again. My Bride was happy to see the small, book exchange cabinet re-appear from winter absence. She can return the books she borrowed for over the winter and select a new one for reading now.
    B1608ED7-4B55-42AF-96D5-F238901558BB.jpeg

The old cargo gate had well and truly collapsed— the wood slats had turned into paper and the chicken wire had given-up to rust. It was sad. Well chappies, nothing for it but to gather-up that gate in ruins and slap a new one together. We used some scavenged wood from a nearby garden shed that was being torn down.
    0A41278D-F027-4137-A8CC-4893056451B7.jpeg

It is basic but my Bride likes it. Yea!

Spuds then—
    07CAD7F2-8381-4418-80D7-68D33BA0398E.jpeg

The right two trenches now have spuds. I planted the far right one about a week ago and now the the centre trench has an interesting-sounding new potato sort We are trying this year. Here you can see these oddly-shaped lovelies. You cannot tell the colour because of the bad piccy, but they have a sort of maroon colour, and they are called, Teufelshörnchen. What a name! The German speakers will know what this translates to.
    7F33A3B8-6919-43CD-83AC-3851C8EB92CB.jpeg

On the foreground of that pic up above you above the “Horns”, is the second strawberry bed all cleaned and fed. In the other strawberry bed that I cleaned last week, I saw flowers. Strawberry flowers. I am rapt.
    28455029-2992-4425-8F34-21CC37F78CFE.jpeg

A close-up of this Dar Royale bloom. At the end of the row though was a little black face.
    F42B57EE-4DFA-4F18-BAAC-73D84EC59F7D.jpeg

Then there was another bed that needed Swiss chard, beetroot and courgettes. This is the leafy quadrant. So then the whole mulch layer had to be removed. Luckily there was not much weed growth, so the job was a quick one.
    C4CF3C22-6CC7-40F2-B106-49B1BB11EC06.jpeg

We made all the drills and then applied water to make the soil dark and this held the sun’s heat for a few hours. Towards the end of the day, we planted all the seeds.
    03F84BBF-0C70-4536-B7B3-26BA33CAE171.jpeg

The work area from the other side. You can see the rest of the garden…the flower garden.
    BEF845A7-DD8D-45D7-962B-90FA53CC26BF.jpeg

Well at the end of a day and a half’s work we were not cooking…no way. So we drifted across the road to Mickey D’s. While sitting in the back of our auto with our legs hanging out the bed, this is what we saw across the canal.
    28FC82AA-AFD1-43D1-886F-9FAFE3AB1633.jpeg

Pshew…..it doesn’t get any better than this.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sjoerd so correct when you said ,”doesn’t get any better than this”. I remember all your garden harvests from last season. I see you’re on your way to a top notch harvest again this year.
    You have a beautifully designed and well thought out techniques including a layer of luv and enthusiasm! very contagious…:smt026:smt041:sete_056:

4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you for sharing your day and your beautiful garden Sjoerd. I am happy to hear that the club house will be opening again and you can both enjoy some companionship of fellow gardeners on the patio. That will be a good day.

Congratulations on the first strawberry flowers :) That is really wonderful news. Mickey D and a tailgate party sounds like a perfect break with your feathered visitor.

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Jewell like this.
  5. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

You sure make the best of your time in the garden. I love that shot of the bird and his watery reflection.

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Jewell like this.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    It all looks lovely. The grass paths are a wonderful cozy feel to your personal green grocery.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Pac— thank you for all those nice words. Your words make me feel enthusiastic. :)

Mel— The gardeners are looking forward to the re-opening too. Once a week a woman volunteer at a facility for the mentally handicapped comes with one of the residents and they bring a couple of home made apple pies. The handicapped person is supervised serving coffee and pie and deal with the money. We pay two euro’s for a slice with whipped cream. It is fun and really addresses my sweet-tooth. The strawb flowers were a surprise to find (thay’s early). And it was so much fun seeing that blue heron. I wonder if it was the one from the harbour where we live.

4-G— I am glad you liked that simple foto. The fact that he was so close (10-12 feet away) means that he is used to people. The first time we noticed him he was right up next to the car, and when he saw we were watching him he flew across the canal ant took a position directly across from us, later wading over to the canal’s edge on our side. Yeah, I believe that people feed him regularly.

Thank you Jewell. It means a lot to hear that you like how we do our garden.

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Sjoerd - could he be the Heron that used to go to the door of the shop? You mentioned him a year ago I believe.

Jewell, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mel, I wondered about that myself. In fact, whilst we sat there stuffing our gobs I suggested that to the Bride as a joke. However, it could be.

Jewell, Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

@Sjoerd

"the clubhouseis again open during the afternoon for drinks and chatting,we’re justwaiting for the terracefurniture to be put out again"

wait, whut?

This is gardening in style!

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

DM— the Bride and I had a little chuckle with a modicum of pride. We had never looked at this in that way. It is nice to have though, and handy for having the several do’s during the season.

12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Dirt..is that the town clubhouse or the garden clubhouse. It has a great way to share books and fun , great to chat with garden buddy’s. Our garden club meets weekly in summers to share ideas, books, garden plants and much more. Great teaching and learning tools.

Jewell and Dirtmechanic like this.
  13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I love the photos of your allotment's clubhouse. It looks like such a relaxing and beautiful place!
    The neat and well-planned layout of the allotment is truly impressive. Seeing the photos always brings a smile to my face and makes me feel happy.

14. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Garden, like a golf course has a club house. 1 fine idea!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Dirt. That one made me LOL… :smt081 Thank you..:chuckle:

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Just for clarity— the clubhouse is not on my allotment, it is centrally located on our complex and for all members to use.

Thanks KK— I appreciate your kind words.