**String like leaves,...flower unknown

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Pinkiered, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

:oops: I planted these seeds and they were suppose to be Painted Daisies and Purple Aster( I think I mixed up the seeds). Well, other seeds werent either so I was wondering if someone could tell by the leaves what it was and how do I get it to bloom. It just keeps growing taller and taller but no signs of buds.
    [​IMG]

2. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Doesn't look familiar, but maybe it is a fall blooming plant. Don't give up on it yet.

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hmmm this could be a toughie Denee, if you see any other identifying characteristic appearing please grab an photo won't you? (I'm sure I don't have to tell you this though - snap happy :D) I hope someone can help identify it fom the leaves.

4. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Thats the only thing it has right now. Stringy leaves. Lots of them but nothing that would make it stick out, I dont think. I think Ill just have to wait for the blooms.

Advertisement
  5. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I took a pic of thr very top of the plant.

[​IMG]

6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Could it be a cosmos, I just looked at mine bc they aren't blooming yet. The plants are pretty, thick stems, and they are just getting buds on them. As dry as it has been, even though we are watering daily, things are just not blooming as they should. It seems as if everything is delayed. I have a small clump of hidden lily ginger(curcuma petiolata) that blooms in May, last year it had six of the prettiest inflorescences you ever want to see, this year none. I think the weather has everything messed up.

7. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

After hearing what Sharon said, I went looking at my seed packs. I had indeed planted two types of cosmos' together. The orange ones (which you see in the background) and "single sensations mixed colors Cosmos'.

I just dont know why my orange ones came out smaller and shorter and have bloomed but the others havent.

Oh well.....mystery solved! Thanks Sharon!

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Denee, did those ever bloom? I had some that did the same thing, the smaller plants bloomed, the big ones, beautiful plants, did not bloom. They just get taller and prettier, but no flowers. I'm confused!!!!!!!!

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have never planted Cosmos so couldn't help.