Suggest me some flowers to grow!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jordan, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Jordan

Jordan Seedling

Hey guys, I'm back :) lol, was sick the last few days. And I ordered some Stoke Seeds catalogue. I was looking through the catalogue, and there are a lot of different seeds to choose from, I'm making this thread because...

I want your opinion on what flowers are awesome to watch grow, and to plant in some hanging baskets etc, etc. Maybe sell a few. :)

Let me know what kind of flowers you like!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I get between 15-20 seed and plant catalogs each year and they all sell some of the most beautiful plants...but most of them will no grow in my climate. So part of the buying process has to include eliminating the plants that do not grow where you are.
    You need to find out what grows where you live. Best way to do that is to wander through local garden centers to see what they are selling and to ask questions of the people working there and possibly other gardeners who are shopping there.

What part of the world do you live in? If the U.S. what is your hardiness zone? Will the garden be in full sun, part sun, part shade, total shade? What kind of soil do you have?

We could all suggest our favorites but if they don't grow in your climate you will be wasting a lot of money buying those seeds. ;)

4. Jordan

Jordan Seedling

My garden is full sun, and part sun around 5:30 - 6:00 PM in the summer time,

I live in Ontario... We have pretty hot summers, some of us who live in Ontario will agree to this.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'm in Ontario too Jordon, and I have a few flowers that I couldn't do without!
    Zinnia's are great, long blooming and fairly drought tolerant. There are several varieties of different sizes and none have ever disappointed me. I look for 'Profusion' and 'State Fair'.
    I love small yellow Marigolds - I always look for 'Little Hero'.
    Heliotrope smells GREAT!
    Calibrachoa is one of my favorites for hanging baskets and planters and there are many colors to chose from.
    And Blue Salvia 'Victoria Blue' is another favorite.
    Are you just looking for annuals?

Advertisement
  6. jennifer.f

jennifer.f New Seed

I really love roses and I Suggest you grow some roses flowers :)

7. Jordan

Jordan Seedling

I like roses too, Also, for those who don't like buying roses because sometimes they can get expensive, you can always grow your own and give them to a loved one!

Netty - Marigolds and Portulaca are my absolute FAVOURITE plant so far, I love the flower on the Marigold, I love the yellow one with red / orange markings, love it!

I also love portulaca for their leaves, if you break them open they almost look like aloe vera liquid.

moderator's note: removed double posting see point 3.6 of usage rules

8. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Sunflowers come in all sizes, and some are even bushy if you pinch them a bit while young.

If you're often out in the evening, you might enjoy some 4'o'clocks or a moonflower vine.

Some veggie plants are quite ornamental, like peppers, cabbage/kale, eggplant and easily grown from seed. Of course the "free" food aspect is cool too.

In hanging baskets especially, I would encourage you to consider foliage as well as flowers. If flowers are not necessary for a plant to look great, there's never any down-time in your display.

Tradescantias, various vines, Begonias, Coleus (easy and readily available from seed.) These are the kind of plants, tender perennials, one can save inside over winter, if such idea appeals to you. Some plants usually used only as house plants can make wonderful accents outside (usually confined to the shade) also.