Sundials or water clocks?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by S-H, Nov 18, 2010.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I was thinking of adding something that will give my garden some much needed personality, something that will set it apart from the rest... So I now have 2 choices - Sundial/Moondial, or a Water Clock.

Which do you people think would be better? Is there anyone over here who has experience building one or the other?

I am proficient with AutoCAD 3D, so I can design just about anything I want! However, I first need to decide which of the 2 should I make? Therefore I welcome any idea from just about everyone over here! :)

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

There are two more options available: a shadow clock and an obelisk. Water clocks tend to be complicated and are very inaccurate but impressive if you want a conversation piece. A fifth option would be a Clepsydra. Also a water clock

References: obelisks Egypt 3500 BCE
    shadow clocks Egypt 1500 BCE
    Clepsydra during the reign of Amenophis I made by Prince
    Amenemhet 1520 BCE
    An interesting water clock was made in China by Su Sung in 1088 CE it was 10 meters tall.
    Do you plan to use a pump to cycle the water?

I would be interested in the one you choose, good luck.

Jerry

4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes I plan to use a pump to recycle the water (because water is not very plentiful over here). But that is only if I go ahead and decide to build a water clock.

I still can't decide right now. However, I just now have found this wonderful book named, THE BOOK OF SUN-DIALS. Here is a link to it:

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/ ... dials.html

It's a full online book (originally printed in 1872). It is over 500 pages, and is really an amazing read! So if I now end up building a sun-dial, then it will be because of this!

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Why not do both?

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Can't do both at once due to shortage of free time... Besides, right now a sun dial seems to be winning - As it consumes no power, nor does it waste any water.

7. Jerry Sullivan

S-H,

Did you ever find the time to build the sundial? This summer I was thinking of building an inverted sundial where the sun shines through a slot and projects a sliver of a pointer on a stone dial.

Jerry

8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

No, I never found the time. Well, actually I did, but I fell into what's known as the "engineer's trap" - Where a project continues to improve over and over again, until it becomes too complicated to be made, and/or the time to make it is consumed by excessive designing...

So that's basically what happened to me. However, I did make an extremely effective humane mouse trap! Want to see pictures of it? Alright, tell you what - I'll soon post pictures of it in the member's gallery section! :)

9. Jerry Sullivan

I'll look forward to seeing the pictures.

Thank you,
    Jerry