Sunshine--A Window Of Opportunity

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

These sunny days are are gorgeous to be out in and the lottie calls. The streets are devoid of people and on the lottie complex there are just a handful of gardeners. The folks there speak to eachother from a distance. We go to the store every 2-3 weeks now and there is further no contact with people except over the internet or telephone. It is bizarre, but for the best, at the moment we believe.

It is sunny but very cold with a stiff north-east wind that comes and goes. We have managed to set up a wind break on the lottie over where we sit. It keeps the cold wind off us when we sit and eat or drink tea.

In-between the important tea breaks, we do do some work. The first thing was to take the soil out of the greenhouse and spread it over the plot where the beans will go. We replaced it with a mixture of our own compost and some garden spoil. That was a big and heavy job, which required several breaks throughout.

Next we emptied out the rest of one of the compost bins and spread that over the potato patch.
    zzzbab3.jpg

I pruned the more of the Clematis plants. The over above our pergola along with the Lonicera got a good haircut. The Wisteria I sort of guided and re-directed a bit, where needed. Ours will never look as good as 'Dog's, but they'll do. The type Doghouse has are the type that I actually wanted, but could not find when it was time to plant. Have you seen his?--They are impressive.

Now then, after a short tea break-- as the last thing. We rolled-back the plant debris mulch from another bed and used the roller tool to make tilthy rows to plant Swiss Chard and Spinach in.
    zzzbab2.jpg

A couple of post scripts: The broad beans that we planted out under that "igloo" are doing well and growing taller.
    Another thing is the plum tree (Reina Victoria)--the first blooms are open!
    Sadly the Opal are only showing leaf buds.

hummerbum, Jewell, KK Ng and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

No I didn`t see his wisteria ! Post a link ! Don`t remember seeing yours either !

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@mart Dog's wisteria is in the 'What did you do in the garden today' stream. And it is indeed impressive.

@Sjoerd looking real good man. I can't wait to begin gardening here!

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

CAYU-- You ought not to have to wait much longer. I appreciate the nice words.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@Sjoerd I have seeds started in the basement, onions & potatoes on order as well as more seeds. Our snow only just finished melting yesterday. I am impatient to start!

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That's great news, CAYU. But you impatient---why, who'da thunk.

8. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Nice looking garden! And - it will look even better over the next couple of months too. :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ta ISLAND. I am hoping it will. Still lots to do.

Islandlife likes this.
  10. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Okay, this may sound kind of weird, but what is a lottie? I looked it up and everything said something about an Android.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Willow, a "lottie" is a term for an allotment (allottiement). In many places people who don't have the space to garden get an allotment in a community garden. We have one in the nearby small town, and those folks can garden!

Henry Johnson, Sjoerd and Jewell like this.
  12. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Ohhh, there are many community gardens in Milwaukee. I have a larger yard and so I put in a small (4x8) raised bed. But I also have an area out back that gets full sun so I can put my raspberries back there.

marlingardener and Jewell like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Jane.

14. mart

mart Strong Ash

Willow,, took me a while to figure this out too ! I am in Texas and we look at acreage ! But many do not have this opportunity !
    Watch Sjoerd carefully,, he can produce as much from his lottie as we can from our large gardens ! Its a learning experience !

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

:rosy: Thanks Mart.

16. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

I am very fortunate here in Oklahoma. I have 5 acres. Two of those are lawn that my house sits on. I made a green house to grow my tomatoes, onions, kale, squash, bell peppers and eggplant. I got tired of kneeling , weeding and spraying for bugs in a conventional garden. I have plenty of space for a community garden, but folks here just don't do that. They all raise a little patch of tomatoes or squash, etc.
    I would love to have the social interaction of an allotted garden space. It's one of the things I miss most.