Supporting garlic and onions

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Jun 3, 2020.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have posted before about hanging garlic and onions on a rope stretched between two cleats on barn beams. I added the red and yellow onions today, and my inventive and clever husband came up with a way to keep the rope from stretching and letting the bulbs almost touch the ground.
    This is a clothes hanger, cut and with one end wrapped around a large drywall screw in a crossbeam, and then the hook holding up the rope. It works!
    Wire support.jpg
    When the rest of the onions hare hung, we may need another of these supports.
    With the fresh onions and the garlic, not to mention the hens, our barn is quite fragrant!

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Southern engineering !! Doesn`t get much better than that !

Growingpains and marlingardener like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well gee Mart, we were fresh out of baling wire!

Growingpains likes this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Looks great!

Growingpains and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well gee Mart, we were fresh out of baling wire!

Well,, They do not use baling wire like they used too ! Now it is string tied ! Pretty useless ! Baling wire held more mufflers in place than anything II can remember !
    You know the whole world is held together with Scotch tape, Elmers glue and baling wire !

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A farm in Texas that does not have bailing wire? Heresy!! The bailing wire police have been notified.:) In 1962 I put several pieces of bailing wire in by car. I lived in New Mexico at the time. Everybody had bailing wire. I last used a piece in 2012 to hold up the tailpipe on my wife's car. There may still be a piece left in the car "tool kit". I still have my 1964 lug wrench with 4 English selections, no metric stuff. That wrench always seem to fit any lug nut. It's dark now I'm not going to hunt for bailing wire in the car tool kit . CM said there are bears on the prowl!! :eek:

Jerry

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, I heard not long ago if wire or duct tape dont fix it it must nee d a hammer... you did pretty good there.you probably could get your bachelors degree (via mail of course) in mechanical engineering now.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I'm liking that, Jane. That is a good solution for the sagging line. You have quite a collection of onions so far, don't you.
    Mine had to be dug out because they were all infested with a small type of worm. It was disheartening, but my spirits were boosted by seeing your harvest. Well done, you!

Growingpains likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, we also have hammers, and I keep a five pound mallet in the barn, but so far duct tape and wire are doing the job!
    Sjoerd, I'm so sorry to hear about your onion infestation and loss of your crop. Those worms sound like onion maggots, which are the larval form of a fly. Sprinkling the planting area with ground cayenne pepper, ginger, dill, or chili pepper will repel the female fly and she'll go lay her eggs elsewhere.
    Wish I could send you some of our onions!

Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for that tip, Jane. Next year I may try something like that. I still have some leeks and may give them a "hot" spray soon.
    Mate, I would accept your onion offer with both hands. That is such a nice gesture. Cheers.

Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.
  12. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

You know the whole world is held together with Scotch tape,Elmers glue and baling wire !

Funny thing Mart, I thought it was hot glue and duct tape.

My cats sit on the window sill and just stare at the birds. And then with George's crickets chirping in the background, it's like they're in the great outdoors! They really get excited when a bunny or squirrel run across the yard.

13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I'm glad I decided to check up on my Stewbies. I have missed a lot.

14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG, we in the north are so far from harvesting our onions! They are still babies in the ground. BUT I did harvest garlic scapes yesterday.

15. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Our garlic is still curled and the leaf blades haven't turned brown, so harvesting is about two weeks away. Onions are not looking as great as I had last year.

Willowisp0801 and Cayuga Morning like this.
  16. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I missed onions this year, but I did get some shallots. This is my first time growing any kind of onion-ish plant. I've grown garlic, but never onion. When do I know when to harvest the shallots?
    Two of my potato plants have buds on them. My zucchini and cucumbers are tall enough to start on the trellis, and I have lettuce and kale coming out of my ears!

Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.