Surprise!

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by mondotomhead, Sep 12, 2008.

1. mondotomhead

mondotomhead New Seed

As some of you know, we just got our pond up and running a month ago. It was looking empty without any plants so we got some water hyacinths and water lettuce. I got home from work last night and the hyacinths were blooming!!! Talk about surprised. I never noticed any thing that would of looked like a flower was forming. I thought they did this in high summer. Is this normal?

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They bloom in late summer/early fall so it appears to be on schedule.
    They are very invasive,multiplying like crazy, doubling sometimes in less than two weeks. Any plants you want to clear out be sure to throw away, they have become a real problem in some waterways.

3. mondotomhead

mondotomhead New Seed

Thanks for the info Toni. Right now a little doubling of plants would look great on my large expanse of empty water!

4. Public Designs

Public Designs Seedling

I think that hyacinths are so pretty when they bloom! I bet they are gorgeous in your pond!

Advertisement
  5. mondotomhead

mondotomhead New Seed

They were very beautiful!

We had a hard freeze up here last night. It was to dark this morning when I left for work so I don't know what the damage was to my tropicals. I get home when its dark so I'll have to take my flashlight and look. I think I will be very sad!

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

You sure are lucky to get Hyacinth blooms. I've tried them every year for the past 5 and never got any blooms! Did you get any pictures? :)

7. mondotomhead

mondotomhead New Seed

I didn't get any pictures....bummer. I get home so late that the "light" at that time of day wouldn't of made a good picture. And they don't last that long - maybe 3-4 days.

As I said previous we had a hard freeze the day before and I did not make it out to the pond last night to look at the tropicals in my pond (it was dark). The reason is that we have raccoons and foxes that stop by for the marshmallows and hotdogs I leave for them and I didn't want to startle them into running into the road. My husband, who gets home in the daylight, told me that my impatiences and nasturniums have all collapsed. How sad! I really am not a fan of this time of year.

8. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I bought some water hyacinths for our pond this summer. You are right about them multiplying!! So far I have not had any flowers, but apparently the fish like the roots for spawning in so I will definitely keep them. I have taken off all the baby plants and put them in a large bowl of water in an outhouse to protect from the winter frosts.