Survey : Desk top computer or laptop?

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Capt Kirk, Nov 18, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I have a desktop at home. My boss sent it home with me when we downsized my department so I could do some work from home if I needed to... which rarely happens.
    And I'm pretty much set in my ways with it... everything is the same as my computer here at work... dual monitors makes life to easy!
    The only places I really travel to anymore is to family. So if I needed a computer while visiting, I'd just use their's.
    I think having a laptop would be okay... but it would definitely take some MAJOR getting used to.

2. ShelleyDN

ShelleyDN New Seed

I have both, but I use the laptop more than the desktop because usually I go out and bring my laptop with me. I use the laptop at work.

3. Jadenz

Jadenz Seedling

I have both but mostly I only use my desktop because I like gaming and huge monitors. And I like that it's easy to fix. My PSU rage-quit last month and I had to replace it and my desktop was working again in only two days. And I like that I can look at the PC case and see what the CPU temperature is, what time it is, if the CPU fan is running, and when the HDD is busy. And I like all the options for different cases, cooling systems, and cards. That's probaly why I mostly just use my desktop.

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Desktop Dimension 5150 for home use,..and for holidays abroad i use a Toshiba Satellite L500-1XC,..i do use the latter at home when uploading a large file so i am then free to use the Desktop,..when going on holiday to "Iffy" locations then i just use my Sony Xperia Phone as it does nearly as much as my Laptop.

Advertisement
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Haven't had anything but laptops for years. We are going more to mobil devices like iPads now.

6. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

We have 2 desktops, 2 laptops and one I-pad/ Android and Love them all! I mostly use my Big Boy desktop, because I enjoy my 21" monitor. And this one is Quad core great for multi tasking, and 6GM RAM but can go up to 16GB it is quick!!

7. Mariah

Mariah New Seed

I honestly still prefer a desktop PC to this day, the main reason being that if sth. doesn't work anymore chances are good that you can replace it. With laptops it is much more complicated. With tablets I am not sure, but i reckon it's worse than with laptops.

8. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

I also have both and prefer the desktop unless I need it some where else. If you use a laptop for a laptop you must be careful not to block the air vent with your clothing or it will be short lived.
    Can't understand what people have against a desktop. ;)

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from jbest123's Garden )

9. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I have 2 of each plus a tablet, all online and running tip top..Luv my puters!

10. Sakura

Sakura New Seed

Skipping over just replying to first lol

In total I own: (rarely use any anymore)
    Old 95 my first a desktop
    Pre 95 desktop
    Me desktop
    Monster xp desktop that I nearly rebuilt has a slave/2nd Linux drive
    My baby vista laptop fried 6 months out of warranty
    Craptop 7 laptop half cost of my baby and totally feels it psu needs to be re-soldered it has a 2nd drive that's Linux that I used for like a year
    I also have a stupid slow mac mini lol

I am typing this on an iPad (jail broken first gen) I also have an iPhone 4s and a Samsung galaxy ring the iPhone is 2nd nature the droid I'm learning

I at one time had an old 98 laptop and I had another xp tower (the one I jumped to from the old 95) that one was called sapos and it was what made me a geek --I used its parts as much as I could tha one was from 02 it fit in the monster from 04 and the ram fit in the old 95 to boot!

Now please bear in mind the pre95 and me were once my uncles the 98 laptop monster and my mac mini along with both the iPhone I mentioned and this iPad

Oh and yes my computers are actually named --just realised I forgot the macs lol 2 legacy lol power mac 6100/66 desktops from school (people take made 94/95 or they get tossed lol only 6 were saved mine and what a couple outhers took lol)

Any questions? These days I'd say look what you do and what would work best back in 08 tablets weren't heard of defo no iPads so I was looking at laptops as I wanted for school and that I also liked watching movies and doing graphics I knew I needed something with some power too --so I ended up with my baby a hp dv6736nr (most hp couple compaq) and it was between her and something white that looked like a mac next year lol macs looked like her! Still find it funny

There are many factors in a computer decision defo lol but today tablets can be a factor as well laptops are common I wanna get a mac to use and a win 8 to try decide its still win and use it for play on lol

Main question what do you use the thing for? Just Internet or gaming or? If you get an Alienware and just surf the web it will last till the earth burns up lol (Alienware=high end gaming) but if youre like me and get right at what you need it could be a few years could be more a mac I'd expect longer mini is slow because it's for Internet it has a 160 gig he'd and 2 gigs of ram not enough for me not enough at all!

Hope helps

11. funmatters

funmatters New Seed

I used to have a desktop for years, for the last 4 years I've been using a laptop, now I'm wanting a desktop again!

12. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I have a desktop and a laptop. I prefer the desktop, to me it is easier to use.

13. Darren12

Darren12 New Seed

I am absolutely on the desktop side. I think I have been for so long that anything other than using my fingers on an actual keyboard feels weird. Yes, I am aware of the fact that you can connect a secondary keyboard to your laptop and maybe even a mouse, but it is still not the same. TEAM DESKTOP!

14. Jadenz

Jadenz Seedling

I just noticed that other internet-capable devices are being mentioned.
    I also have internet access on my phone and my tablet. I use my tablet for surfing when I'm doing stuff like huge downloads or uploads on my desktop.
    There's so many ways to get online now and so much WiFi, it's almost impossible to not find a way to get online.

Frank likes this.
  15. CariAnn88

CariAnn88 Seedling

I have a laptop. Been using laptops for about 10 years. I prefare them to a desktop.