Tale of 2 Colours

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by KK Ng, Mar 29, 2010.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Recently I had some problems with some rats, I really hate them, and they were terrorising my aubergine plants destroying the fruits. The worst thing is that they will take a bite at each and every one of the fruits that were on the plants. :scheming: Nobody would want to eat the aubergine because we were put off by the fact that the rats had got at it. As a counter measure I had to wrap the fruits in newspaper to stop them from getting at them and the result, I get white aubergines :D

[​IMG]
    White One ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

Besides doing that I set traps and gave them a treat of rat poision :twisted: So far caught one and now it seem safe..... I hope!!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Haha, what a cool aubergine! :D You're very imaginative, I must say. I'd never have thought of wrapping the fruits in newspapers. Well done.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I like it - a white aubergine now that's certainly different!! :D I hope you've sorted out your problem with the rats and that your fruits will be able to grow without any further damage.

5. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Amazing! I know some tricks, how to grow a square tomato, how to have a pattern on your pumpkins as they grown, and I'm sure someone once told me how to put your name on developing apples, but I have never seen an aubergine like that. Amazing. Now if I could just get the darn things to grow in my greenhouse, maybe I could give it a go.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This is interesting, KK. I am curious to know if the flavour is changed in any way.

7. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

You may have started a new gourmet trend! lol! I am also wondering the same as Sjoerd, if it will taste any different. Please let us know.

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I saw these! Good luck with the rat hunt KK.

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

And I also am curious about the taste of the white ones. Also, once you take the newspaper off, does the color begin to change? Very smart guy, you are, KK.

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Droopy, at first I thought of fencing it but it is not practical and decided to wrap them with newspaper too :idea: while I was wrapping the bitter gourds to protect them from some kind of boring pest. :D

At the moment it is OK Eileen, I have stopped wrapping them and keeping my finger crossed that they would prefer the delicious poison :twisted: to my plants. :fingerscrossed:

EJ let's do the grow chant!!!
    "GROW AUBERGINE, GROW!!
    GROW AUBERGINE, GROW!!
    GROW AUBERGINE, GROW!! :D

Sojerd, Biita, there is no difference in the taste or flavor, once cooked it looks just like any normal aubergine.

Thanks Frank, the hunt is still an on going process ....... If only Chai can catch rats! 8)

Thanks Daisybeans, the taste is the same and so far I had taken the newspaper off in the morning and harvest it in the evening. The colour change was very slight and I think it need at least a couple of days to get back its normal colour.

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

What a great idea.I hope you defeat all of the Speedy Gonzales :) out of you eggplants.I hope some of you remember Speedy.