Talk to me about roses.

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Ronni, May 6, 2014.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've been reading this from the start. I keep telling myself that I should plant a couple of roses. But I'm like Ronni... I want them to be fragrant and LOOK like a rose. I just don't like the Knock-outs. But as Jane said... they do make a lovely hedgerow.
    So when I finally decide to go for it, I now know which one's to look for. I love the Nacogdoches one and have seen it in the stores.

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Newly planted plants spend the early days in the ground growing more and stronger roots and then new leaves and growth above ground become noticeable.

Also the size they give for the plant will not be fully reached for 2-5 years, then it will look like it doubled in size over night.

2ofus likes this.
  3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

OK, so I think one of the rose bushes I planted is dead. :( I don't think I killed it, I really think it was dead before I ever planted it.

Here's the one I planted first, and as you can see, it doesn't look a whole lot different. Maybe just a bit perkier? But not dead.
    [​IMG]

And then here's the one I planted next. It already had the darkened stems, but it did have some green leaves shooting out. Not many, nowhere near as many as the other one, but it's a different flavor of rose, so I figured it just looked and grew different. Anyway after I planted it, exactly per the directions and with the mushroom compost that you all suggested I use, the bits of green leaves on it that were already looking pretty puny just shriveled up and got brown and crisp. And the one green looking stem that those leaves were on has started to turn dark.

So I think it's gone. Do you agree? I figure I'll have to go get something else to replace it with.
    [​IMG]

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

And we have liftoff!!!

Of the two rose bushes I planted, one has finally given me a bloom. I am almost as excited as I was when my grand babies were born!! ;)

[​IMG]

There are several more buds, too, so I'm sure there will be a few more blooms before the week is out! :stew1:

2ofus and cherylad like this.

Advertisement
  5. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

The Knock Out Roses come in red and pink. Are there yellow Knock Out Roses?
    :smt021

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You could try the rose, 'Westerland'.
    I have this one and find the fragrance especially pleasing to my nose.

7. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Climbing New Dawn Rose was voted the most popular rose in the world at the 11th World Convention of Rose Societies in 1997.